The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > on line fraud

on line fraud

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
There is talk in the UK about setting up a website to which spam email can be forwarded. Senator Conroy could well find that this would be a more welcome move than his attempts to censor the internet. The reason many scams are so persistent is because there will be always some who innocently respond. For example I regularly get asked for my bank account details and password so that the 'bank' can do some much needed maintenance on my account and who has not been invited to help out some Nigerian prince to launder his money? A government controlled website to which these scams can be forwarded will enable the police to stop these fraudsters by closing down their websites. Sure they will pop with a new website but the moment they send out their scams that new website will be reported and shut down reducing the chances of duping more innocent people.
Posted by BAYGON, Sunday, 27 February 2011 8:05:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Such a site can be used as a mechanism for entrapment. Government can send out spam and then, depending on the kind of spam, target people who don't report it.
Posted by david f, Monday, 28 February 2011 8:57:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There is a NSW Police email address to which you can forward spam mails.
Unfortunately I have lost the address.
However I don't think they do much about the Nigerian ones as it seems
to be a major industry in that country.
I think they are looking mainly for money launderers.
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 28 February 2011 9:35:51 AM
BAYGON thank you for an interesting thread,I agree with every word you posted.
Bazz if you find it post it please mate, but I have doubts they have the time.
David f sorry bit out there for me.
BAYGON this mornings Sydney news papers are talking about cameras in the Kings Cross area, we have only a few.
Deaths bashings robbery's take place.
And Sydney city council ,in the hands of a garden gnome controls them.
We could do worse than copy and past British police who control very many and much crime too.
6 spams today, all promising great wealth, some do reply, lets act.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 28 February 2011 11:01:41 AM
Belly it is either cops on the beat or cameras, cops cost, cameras win. I might say that in the UK they are effective when used in conjunction with mobile units. Their deterent value is valid, except for the extremely intoxicated. Given we are talking the Cross the bouncers will have to watch their step if covered by the cameras, I have seen hundreds of drunk but harmless guys and girls get a serve by power drunk bouncers, I worked the door back in the day on weekends for the cash but I only retaliated, otherwise you would go through two shirts a night.
Posted by sonofgloin, Monday, 28 February 2011 11:42:07 AM
Belly about Clover, what can you say except if we could turn her from the gnome side to the peoples side she would be an asset, but now she is an enemy of the people.

About the spam, I received one that promised me oil wealth from a solicitor representing the government for un dispersed legacy moneys in Nigeria. My relative hit oil and only I was left, send a small amount of money and my bank details and I was set.

I replied that we too were very wealthy and that the relative was despised by our family and the news was welcomed and I would like to send the solicitor $1000 US for the good news, could he send me his account details. Amazingly I received a reply, a second shot at imploring me to take the money; he actually wrote "you could never have too much money".
Posted by sonofgloin, Monday, 28 February 2011 12:13:14 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy