The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > You are the Prime Minister

You are the Prime Minister

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. All
Ok election over,you won, control of the senate too.
What 3 policy's would you put in place in your first few months?
Mine, Nuclear power stations, not for greens policy's but Australia's good all new power stations would have to be Nuclear.
Flood crisis present and future, a not to be touched crisis fund,about .$2 a week for every one so we have cash in the bank next time,50% of interest only interest, could be spent on such as mitigation.
3rd after research and costing, try to recycle all sewage in land and as much storm water as can be done to both help out back and stop polluting the sea,
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 1 February 2011 1:34:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
that's pretty good Belly not that you need my endorsement.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 1 February 2011 5:50:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly:

Two of your policies are great, except I would prefer renewal energy (of which Australia has plenty) instead of nuclear power - because of the waste disposal problem, possible hazards (disasters), and the high-cost of maintenance involved. I can understand high-density countries like France, and others, that don't have the advantage of extensive solar and wind energy, not to mention other sources, going for nuclear - they have no other choice. We do.

My three preferences as PM would be:

1) Referendum for a Republic.
2) Eliminate State Governments - to save on bureaucracy and for equitable distribution of funding and services.
3) Allocate a fund for flood control mechanisms to prevent future major flood disasters.
Posted by Lexi, Tuesday, 1 February 2011 6:41:43 PM
cont'd ...

Belly:

I forgot to mention - that a friend of mine suggested to get rid of the two-party system and vote for the individual (best and the brightest) that they want to run the country. Just a thought. This should stir things up a bit.
Posted by Lexi, Tuesday, 1 February 2011 6:48:09 PM
Where to start Belly - I like your 2nd and 3rd proposals. Here are three areas I would work on:

1. Raise the standards of quality tertiary (and other) education and remove the commercial business model it now operates under. Return to a merit based model with emphasis on research. Expand on TAFES, Colleges of Further Education and other skills based education 'tiers'.

2. Cut government spending in wasteful programs and bloated management structures within the APS and transfer this 'windfall' to real services in health, aged care and the community sector.

3. Real taxation reform including, but not limited to, better tax benefits for small business, tax on super profits, and remove tax loopholes for the wealthy. Remove GST and the burden of collection from business.

4. (Okay I know you only said three). Place essential services back into the ownership of the people including in the areas of energy, postal, utilities, banking, retirement infrastructure and basic communications. Allow the private sector, philanthropy and patronage to fund other areas of personal activity (the majority of arts, sport etal) currently subsidised by taxes.
Posted by pelican, Tuesday, 1 February 2011 9:35:19 PM
Remove GST,
Pelican,
In Australia's case this would amount to throwing away life jackets from a sinking ship.
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 1 February 2011 9:43:38 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy