The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Which Law rules? Australian law or ?

Which Law rules? Australian law or ?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
SPQR... *right on*

which of course.. saves me a lot of remedial therapy to poor Perilous and his cabal of sympathizers.

In a nutshell.. the things our government has signed us on to.. including the wretched poor blind "Refugee Convention" which we did NOT vote for.. in the sense that

a) Opposition to the flood has Labor at almost panic stage (Timor solution etc)

b) It would be included as a 'minor' or unpromoted part of election platforms.

INSIDER EXTREME.....knowledge.

Now..if you folks were up to speed, and more knowledgable about how political campaigns are run these days, (and of course if you regularly watched Beck :) sorry..couldn't resist that little tease)

THIS is how they are run.

A) Identify the SWINGING voters, and their position on a range of issues.

B) Consign 'hard core traditional' voters to the dustbin of irrelevance, because their vote is assured.

C) Run your public platorm specifically tailored to the SWINGERS.. who are the ones who decide the outcome.

To see i) The research behind this and ii) The outworking in living color (Reagan and Thatcher and New Labour) just watch all parts of

CENTURY OF THE SELF.. youtube/google vids.

Lexi.. do you live in the Flemington high rise flats ?

Hazza, I appreciate your sincerity and candour, but please consider SPQR's post.
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Wednesday, 2 February 2011 9:02:59 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
AGIR:

You ask if I live in the Flemington high-rise flats?

No. I own my own home, (architect designed) and live in the garden state of Victoria, in a lovely eastern suburb.

Keep trying though!
Posted by Lexi, Wednesday, 2 February 2011 10:29:35 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You get so het up about these things Boaz, that you forget where you are.

You live in Australia.

Under Australian governments, State and Federal, that are democratically elected by people like you. Ok, maybe they are not all like you - but that's the wonder of living in this world, isn't it. We are all different.

Those governments pass laws. Some people like the laws that they pass, some don't (see above, "we are all different"), but most people put up with it because it is the price we pay to live in a free, open and democratic society (cf. Egypt, North Korea etc.)

Those governments also take notice of trends in lawmaking around the world, and have noticed that over the past sixty years or so, a lot of attention has been paid to various flavours of "human rights" - SPQR picked up on the "rights of the child", but there are many others.

The idea behind them is to write down the sort of stuff that separates our societies from those less... particular than ours, as to whom they oppress, kill, imprison etc. etc. (cf. Colombia, bad-old-East-Germany etc.) in the form of Charters.

Again, some people are happy about this, some are not. I must confess that I'm not a great fan of them myself, but that has more to do with the results (massive increase in opportunities for lawyers to make a motza) than the intent.

But at least I don't go around pretending that these laws that we pass in this country are somehow dictated by the United Nations, despite your splutterings.

>>In a nutshell.. the things our government has signed us on to.. including the wretched poor blind "Refugee Convention" which we did NOT vote for<<

You did vote for them, Boaz.

We are - collectively, as an electorate - responsible for the laws our parliament pass, and any problems you have with that are problems with our democracy.

While it is far from perfect, it is better than i) dictatorship ii) anarchy and ii) theocracy, to name but three alternatives.
Posted by Pericles, Wednesday, 2 February 2011 11:12:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A good point Pericles, though I don't quite agree:
-
">>In a nutshell.. the things our government has signed us on to.. including the wretched poor blind "Refugee Convention" which we did NOT vote for<<

You did vote for them, Boaz.

We are - collectively, as an electorate - responsible for the laws our parliament pass, and any problems you have with that are problems with our democracy."
-

The problem with a non-direct representative democracy is that it's more a matter of we, the voters, being responsible for the people we elect; than so much a case of we actually voting for the government to implement each of these specific things with our support; nobody really can tell which of the dozens of policies a party has are ones that people each support overall, but more a case of the party having enough of the right ones (or, simply opposing Workchoices) to get the mandate to act on them all.

Hence why I, like some of us others, try to avoid the 'our elected representatives' line myself.
Posted by King Hazza, Wednesday, 2 February 2011 12:15:30 PM
That's all very well, King Hazza.

>>Hence why I, like some of us others, try to avoid the 'our elected representatives' line myself.<<

But it doesn't rate as an excuse for saying "I didn't vote for it, so it must be illegal/foreign/dreamed up by the UN"

I totally agree there is no requirement for the politicians we elect to follow even the most prominent of their pre-election commitments. It is a failing of the system that I have pointed out on this forum on a number of occasions.

But that does not give dissenters licence to pretend that circumstances are different.

We do elect those people. The fact that they are feckless money-grubbing chancers who would sell their grandmother for a movie ticket is not at issue. Using their dedication to perpetuating their time at the trough, riding the gravy-train (apologies for the convoluted metaphor) does not change that fact.

This thread is entitled "Which Law rules? Australian law or ?"

I was simply pointing out to Boaz the vacuity of the question.
Posted by Pericles, Wednesday, 2 February 2011 2:54:19 PM
Pericles.. you know me by now Hammer...nails ? right.

I see "Human Rights" law as invasive..intrusive and a skillfully disguised attempt to undermine our soveriegnty.

I didn't need the lecture on how our democracy works.. I do actually know that.

In fact.. by being 'colorful' in my presentation of this issue..I'm doing the very thing you advocate...ie...fighting to change it.

You know as well as I do.. that if I'd chosen the issue of "reffo's"

or mentioned Bob Browns continual mantra "International Obligations" then it would be exactly as I huffed and puffed about the original issue.

The problem for the average Jill and Joe in the electorate is that (sadly) as Bernays says "they are a bunch of idiots" in that they vote according to the hip pocket nerve rather than the gray matter of political science.

But Governments KNOW THIS..and if they then insert some "Human Rights" convention sign up thingy in their next term... it is absolutely that 'we didn't vote for it' by 'we'..I mean those who voted for that government.

Hell..they might be chasing a seat on the security council or human rights commission for some bright sparks sense of self fulfillment- and sacrifice our sovereignty in that quest. *scumbags*.

Lexi... sounds like you are close me. See my reply in the other "Prime Minister" thread, but 'architect designed' ?..hmmm *fights jealousy*
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Thursday, 3 February 2011 7:42:30 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy