The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Flood insurance

Flood insurance

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Now BAZZ we know who one another are, in fact you are the only person I do know here.
I have always respected the work you have done in our hobby.
But hold on! consider how STUPID your remark is.
BE HONEST MATE.
Have you ever got in to your side? have you not seen me get into mine.
You have developed strange views in the last 18 months, one I question.
Your peak oil posts baffle me, how can such a bright bloke think like that it however is your right.
Bazz can you look me in the eye be honest, and say my opinions are ALP only.
Do me a favor, I do it every day, HOLD YOUR SELF ACCOUNTABLE FOR EVERY THING YOU SAY.
My opinions and views are mine you insult both off us with your comment, me because you infer my comments are not mine you? mate because any one who EVER reads my posts knows it is both silly and quite wrong.
73,s old man you can do better than that.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 29 January 2011 3:22:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Option 1 should be to ensure that the environment can easily sustain the population by putting a clamp on reckless immigration. It is the big end of town that has its skyscrapers in flood zones, demands more consumers to ensure growth of business and provides the capital to develop cheap low-lying land (which coincidentally includes good farming land).

After all, it was business interests that insisted on (say) Rockhampton being where it is. A better site was proposed but was vigorously and successfully resisted by business.

As for the land for residential housing, home buyers took what they were offered and there were always incentives, such as the availability of facilities - or certain lack of facilities if they chose to live elsewhere.

The same story is true of other cities. For example, Joh Bjelke Peterson's government forced through applications by large business interests to exploit (the popular word back then) salt water marsh land on the Gold Coast. That the land was essential to the fishing industry was of no concern, such was the greed of the entrepreneurs, their financiers and Joh. Similarly sand dunes were bulldozed for high rise holiday lettings. Even the sand spit at the old Southport Beach (Main Beach) has been exploited with a large hotel, holiday accommodation and shops, despite the risk of a tidal surge removing what it placed there years before.

In Brisbane CBD, new high rise apartments were developed on flood land and flogged off to punters. In the inner western suburbs, a flood zone government works site was sold off and developed as a medium rise estate, even incorporating some public park land (?!).

The flooding problem is so widespread that all we can do is slowly over time discourage more intense development where it occurs (but such redevelopment is already happening!) and offer charity where lives are devastated.

The first concern should be to prevent future poor decisions by government that do not serve the best interests of the Australian population and the environment. The enemy is not nature it is cynical, pragmatic and sometimes bent, politicians.
Posted by Cornflower, Saturday, 29 January 2011 3:28:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Cornyflower my spell check did that will not bother you again.
SHADOW MINISTER you never in your life posted any thing that was not about your slanted view of politics, your problem is you are getting a rep for it.
Bazz not retracting a word, sorry but I had you right up there know the many battles you won for us but gee lies upset me.
Maybe it is something else, an inability to think about others views while wanting me to take your on board is ,well let it rest.
Those who do not know, before launching in to me old man is a few words we often address one another with in ham radio.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 29 January 2011 3:31:40 PM
Belly, "Cornyflower (sic) my spell check did that will not bother you again."

You've gone down in my estimation for resorting to the same nonsense again. There is nothing in my replies to provoke that silly name calling. What about lifting your sights and addressing the facts?
Posted by Cornflower, Saturday, 29 January 2011 4:14:03 PM
Belly,

It is a bit of the pot calling the kettle black. Your occasional chiding of the more obvious examples of Labor incompetence does not make your unwavering support of the ALP less slanted.

The issue in this thread, is that the threat of flooding has never been a secret, and the very least the councils should have done is ensure that when houses were built in flood areas, that they were flood proofed to some extent. It would have been a relatively small expense initially, but would have saved a fortune.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Sunday, 30 January 2011 5:58:10 AM
Cornflower fact is I was never even on your favorites list or you would never have thrown the first feeble stone.
Should you wish further verbal tennis may I ask you bring a racket with strings?
Talk about pot calling kettle back SM read my post in NSW after March from last night,it is more truthful than your poor attempt.
Bazz should do so too.
No show me, just one, obvious fault in your party you have put in print here mate, ever.
A person who is never wrong never grows why change if you know it all? you must buy a mirror.
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 30 January 2011 6:08:42 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy