The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is This Evolution?

Is This Evolution?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Lexi I will read that soon, it seems clear to me what we eat,where we live and how impacts on it.
I was thinking back to that mine and it bought back the memory's.
That day,standing wondering was it a protest that so many pairs of boots lay on that floor.
I became aware of their sizes, and was reminded my dads feet had been that size, 6 too.
Mine are tens, I am 5 inches taller than him.
For me this is a form of evolution, maybe pure evolution.
In theory we could slow or speed up the process with less or more food and exercise, but others views would be interesting.
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 16 January 2011 4:57:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly:

My dad had smaller feet then me and he was shorter in height. I think I may have inherited my grandfather's genes. He was six feet seven in height, with a size 11 shoe size. Have a read of the website I gave and let me know what you think. I think that the link gives a good
summary of things that could play a role in our shape and height. The miners work could have affected their body development - (stunted their growth so to speak)? It will be interesting to see what other posters think.
Posted by Lexi, Sunday, 16 January 2011 6:14:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Could it simply be

The boots left behind didn't

Fit anybody?
Posted by Shintaro, Sunday, 16 January 2011 7:21:56 PM
Yes, many of the averages of localised populations of the human species change over time. The increase in the height of boys and earlier adolescent development of girls is mostly down to better overall nutrition and a reduction in childhood diseases. This is 'epigenetics' and not necessarily directly genetically controlled.

Thus, it may be described as 'evolution' in that it is a change in a population over time, but then also not necessarily directly evoltionary, in therms of genes being selected. It is indirectly evolutionary, in that secondary effects of this increase in size may be either selected for or against, however humans are mostly above this sort of natural selection, unless it directly affects cultural preferences.
Posted by Bugsy, Sunday, 16 January 2011 7:56:13 PM
Belly,
I know little about genetics, but my belief is that nutrition is the critical factor.

In my nearest town there is a very old brewery which is a tourist venue and the doorways into the accomodation rooms for the former workers are very small. The between decks space in the old sailing ships was also very small.

Since those times our nutrition has improved and we are consuming more protein. I am not surprised that you can notice a difference in our lifetime.

Recently, I read an article which stated that there was a vast difference in height and body dimensions between the North Koreans and the South Koreans, all due to the near stavation of the people in the North.

As a livestock breeder I can say that while an animals genes are important, it is the feeding of the animal that gives the best results. There is also a certain hybred vigor derived from crossbreeding. So I will also accept that children from mixed marriages will be bigger, all other things being equal.

So yes, genes do play a role but the critical factor is in better nutrition of more recent times
Posted by Banjo, Sunday, 16 January 2011 9:30:25 PM
Banjo that post was good I found it spoke for me,every word.
You and I know about hybrid vigor, both having breed cattle.
It indeed is protean in put too.
Now not intending to open wounds, but in breeding humans has been both a factor in ,say our Royal family's case bad genes being passed on.
And in apart of the world know for inter family marriages bigger people.
Long term , food changes more or less may change our genes.
Lexi tell you my thoughts after I mow the lawn.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 17 January 2011 6:23:36 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy