The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Government ruins Xmas for Australia

Government ruins Xmas for Australia

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 14
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. All
LOL...right
Posted by we are unique, Tuesday, 28 December 2010 1:10:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It was somewhat easier when it was still the lucky or rather conservative country but when Whitlam & subsequent Labor outfits changed that status our luck ran out. We never managed to become Hawkies' clever country but had no qualms about turning it into a Banana Republic via Keatinge. He managed this by safely betting on the ignorance of the baby boomers who never had to learn to save & manage. The baby boomers are now facing the prospect of watching their babies sliding towards a mayhem orchestrated by contempory idealist lefties. As the old adage goes, meaning well just isn't good enough. We always get the success stories of this & that enterpreneur or this'n that new technology but we never get to hear about the massive slides society makes towards unsustainability of this mentality. Just because it doesn't happen to many doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It does & it's becoming a problem to those who care to care.
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 28 December 2010 8:22:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Australia is full of whingers. You come in on the market when interest rates are at rock bottom and somehow you expect them to stay there.
A very immature and naive whinger.
If you don't have the nous to factor in interest rate rises, you shouldn't be in the market.
Spare a thought for the people that have to live on interest rates. All you think of is yourself.
Posted by 579, Tuesday, 28 December 2010 9:21:07 AM
Individual:

Just to clarify a few things for you. My parents came to this country as displaced persons (refugees from war-torn Europe after World War II). I can assure you I am well aware of having to survive on the bare minimum (and sometimes less) my family had to do it for many years. I didn't know we were poor, because my parents worked hard to ensure that their children were fed and looked after. I've worked hard all of my life, and whatever you may think I now have, I've earned. As for my comments about swapping places to SOG, that was done tongue-in-cheek.
Posted by Lexi, Tuesday, 28 December 2010 10:00:34 AM
Look I like to be honest.
I do you know, lieing to our selves is not worth while is it?
My early comments in this thread got it wrong.
Government has ruined Christmas for SOME Australians.
As some know I am now an ex nothing more ex than an ex but I had the honor to be a cog in Australia's best trade union.
Sad but it hurt the rotten things that impact on some workers.
John Howard, his WORKCHOICES impacted on bush workers low income and small job workers.
A great sad number put their names on a 5 year agreement, FORCED IN FEAR OF DISMISSAL on many.
It has not yet ran out.
so until it does some WORK CHRISTMAS DAY , some get only one public Holiday,some get none.
Some have had no pay rises for 3 years and will not for the next two.
Some never will worry about interest rates they never will own a home WORKCHOICES still has them harnessed to the boss.
SOG do you know any low paid timber workers who live in rented bosses homes, work 48 hours normal time for 40 hours pay.
Who get loans from him to register the car?
Who are OWNED for life by debt and hopelessness to such a life.
John Howard/Tony Abbott do not either.
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 28 December 2010 10:38:07 AM
Yabby, you never disappoint, so I am a glass half empty guy and you are a happy little vegemite. As Individual said you do not represent a majority of plebs in this land of ours. Or should I say theirs, as "your" corporations have bought and continue to buy all the tradable assets this commonwealth possesses, and that thanks to the crop of traitorous "new world order" politicians on both sides of the fence since the mid seventies. Your other little line about "breeding like rabbits" and the Catholics is a gem, what will be your next little pearl of advice "let them eat cake"?

About your mate from the AFR and his "we never had it better figures" here are some ABS figures for you to contemplate:

National household savings as a percentage of GDP
1970/ 18% of GDP
1990/ 11% of GDP
2000/ 7% of GDP
2010/ 2% of GDP
I will not bore you with how much we as individuals owe the money lenders or how much we as tax payers owe money lenders as opposed to thirty years ago. What would be the point, you would see it as a marker to a vibrant economy, and it is not. It is an indicator to a flourishing off shore corporate base that has decimated our “savings” wealth and hocked us up to the eye balls to buy their products.

Yabby have we not been down this track before, I believe the more funds you have and the less you owe is a marker to economic strength while you think the less we have and the more we owe is a marker to economic stability and consumer prosperity.
Posted by sonofgloin, Tuesday, 28 December 2010 11:23:09 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 14
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. All