The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Pedro de Arbues, and Peter of Verona. Co saints of Mary MccKillop

Pedro de Arbues, and Peter of Verona. Co saints of Mary MccKillop

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Pedro and Peter, were also devout Catholics that were canonised for their efforts. The difference between them and Mary was that they were leaders of the inquisition responsible for persecuting heretics and especially Jews.

While Mary was a decent person, my cynical side feels that her canonisation was more a political move to cement ties with Australia than any spectacular service or miracles from her side.

The Vatican was well known for its collaboration with the Fascists, and I well suspect that if WWII had a different outcome we might well have had a saint Adolf.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 18 October 2010 2:25:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes Shadow Minister, I too am cynical about the motives of the Catholic Church finally agreeing to promote Mary to sainthood now.
A hundred years ago they ex-communicated her for reporting a paedophile priest!

Mary MacKillop certainly did some good for the poor people of her day, however I am very skeptical about the so-called miracles that happened in her name.

There are stories about unexplained 'spontaneous cures' happening to people suffering cancer all over the world.
We have Buddists, Muslims, Jews, and every other religion claiming the same thing.
Apparently we have 'miracles' appearing from Gods of all sorts, and happening to atheists as well!

Could it be merely unexplained medical reasons why these people appear to have recovered from life-threatening diseases?
Posted by suzeonline, Monday, 18 October 2010 10:34:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
[Deleted for abuse.]
Posted by Rudy, Monday, 18 October 2010 11:49:08 PM
It's an online opinion forum Rudy.
Just because you don't agree with what we say, doesn't make us bigoted.
Mary MacKillop certainly appeared to be a 'saintly' sort of a person, but me not believing in so-called miracles does not make me a bigot.
At least we commented on the topic.
Posted by suzeonline, Tuesday, 19 October 2010 12:49:31 AM
I'm assuming your suggestion of Saint Adolph is an example of hyperbole, Shadow Minister. But point taken.

There is always room for cynicism and its much healthier cousin, scepticism. I embrace both. I think, however, that in this case it might be nice to see international recognition of an Australian woman who, in the face of considerable adversity, achieved great things. I have enough respect for old JP to believe that his decision to beatify Mary Mac was based on genuine belief rather than political gain. Benny - well, I'm not so certain. But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Miracle or no miracle, it's nice to see an Australian receiving recognition far and wide for something other than sporting achievement or acting - for simply doing something good for her community.
Posted by Otokonoko, Tuesday, 19 October 2010 1:43:53 AM
Suzeonline I don't know how I managed to type that mistake. I meant to type "the first post". My comment was in relation to the first post only.
Posted by Rudy, Tuesday, 19 October 2010 11:15:46 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy