The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Aboriginal views on media coverage.

Aboriginal views on media coverage.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
I am a Year 12 student looking into Aboriginal portrayal in the media. I need the views of Aboriginal people, to with how they feel about their portrayal in the media.
Thanks (:
Posted by lalaamy, Thursday, 14 October 2010 9:44:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I see very little media portraying indigenous people or indigenous issues in Australia.

Then again I don't take notice of many media stories.
The issues that do arise are generally voiced by non indigenous people anyway who with a careful sentence structure can deliver a biased undertone to the audience without many people noticing.

The aboriginals I see on TV are either dancing or complaining about something with a beer in their hand. Thats not to say that all aboriginals do is dance and drink. But that is what I see clips of when some reporter wants their point of view.
Posted by Nicnoto, Friday, 15 October 2010 4:06:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is sad that indig; people do not come out more, and express their concerns. I have travelled extensively across au, and found the indig; people very subdued.
Try to converse with them is near impossable.
An elder in Alice Springs seen me with a camera, and said do you want to take my photo, i said yes, he said i will de back in a mimuite. When he returned he had with him 20 of the biggest smiles you ever seen.
I gave a copy of the picture to a local paper in victoria who published it. The caption said a happy day was had by all.
Aborigional coverage in media is hard to find.
Posted by 579, Friday, 15 October 2010 5:03:03 PM
Thats a very big call for a year 12 assignment, though I seem to recall a similar thing a few weeks back.

The concept of an "Aboriginal" view itself is problematic, as us white folk tend to see them as a single entity. They were historically many different nations with around 800 language groups and fluid geographic boundaries.

Even now, people seem to think its fine to take the views of one person/group and superimpose it on all the different Aboriginal groups. Leaders such as Noel Pearson get a lot of airtime and speak very passionately and articulately, but there are many Aboriginal people who strongly oppose his ideas.

I would say this would be more appropriate as a second year (uni) essay, and the approach there would be to work out exactly what your lecturer wants to read. If the lecturer has written an article on the matter, reference it probably as the second or third reference with the strongest relevance to the essay question.
Posted by PatTheBogan, Friday, 15 October 2010 6:50:10 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
see: http://eprints.qut.edu.au/16654/1/Andrew_King_Thesis.pdf
Posted by Rainier, Friday, 15 October 2010 10:08:30 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
lalaamy,

Get together some questions and ring or email the Australian Indigenous Communications Association, this link has details of the Association and contacts,

http://www.brisbanemediamap.com.au/public/client/453
Posted by Cornflower, Saturday, 16 October 2010 3:59:57 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy