The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Do we really want ever-increasing 'economic efficiency'?

Do we really want ever-increasing 'economic efficiency'?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. All
.. cont >

As a practical example of the above theory, one aspect of the 'fight' - that of finance and economics as warfare - see this:

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=21415
Posted by Beelzebub, Sunday, 17 October 2010 5:59:21 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I guess that's one way to avoid answering the questions, Beelzebub - simply change the subject.

>>There are many scientists working in this field, but many of them do not 'go public' for fear of damaging their reputation and hurting their careers, such is the degree of opposition at present. One who has is Rupert Sheldrake:<<

And Rupert is...

"...best known for his theory of morphic fields and morphic resonance, which leads to a vision of a living, developing universe with its own inherent memory."

That sounds a far more interesting and productive path to tread than some random, unconnected and incoherent assertions on "economic efficiency".

I'm game. Where do we go from here?
Posted by Pericles, Sunday, 17 October 2010 4:06:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
> I guess that's one way to avoid answering the questions, Beelzebub - simply change the subject.
Once again we're back to semantics. You claim a change of subject, I deny it. At this stage I'll have to call a recess. I have a limited amount of time to devote to this forum, and I'd prefer to spend it as productively as possible. If anyone else is following this debate and would like to see it continue, I'll ask that you post something to that effect. But if it's just the two of us taking pot-shots at each other across the ditch, I'd suggest that we could both find better uses for our time.

This is not an evasion or capitulation, merely a suggestion to economize on time and use it efficiently. After all, in orthodox economic terms, as Pericles has pointed out, "To oppose economic efficiency is to oppose the purpose of human society itself."
Posted by Beelzebub, Thursday, 21 October 2010 9:08:11 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Actually there's MANY different definitions of "economic efficiency", some quite radically different from each other.

However there's one thing for certain, without sustainability (in all areas) all the efficiency, or non efficiency, in the world will eventually come to naught.
Posted by samsung, Thursday, 21 October 2010 9:48:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
*My suggestion was that it will result in the creation of another pariah state, locked away in poverty from the rest of the world. I offered you a chance to propose some logical alternative outcome.*

I felt that Pericles asked a valid question Beelze, I can't see
where you have answered it. So right now, my money is on him.
Posted by Yabby, Thursday, 21 October 2010 9:51:19 PM
Sure there are lots of definitions of "economic efficiency", but those by economists are very similar.

Those that are radically different, such as many of those postulated on this thread, have little to do with either economics or efficiency, and neither do those putting them forward.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Friday, 22 October 2010 9:37:11 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy