The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Self mutilation

Self mutilation

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Why is it that so many people want to put tattoos on various parts of their body ? I can understand the original tribal reasons, and to some extent it probably still exists with clubs such as the motor cycle gangs who cover themselves with crude designs that may be placed there more for intimidation than anything else. It seems to me that it has become a fashion statement, but what is attractive about something that generally looks more like a birthmark from only a short distance. I have to say that I consider tattoos in the same way as piercings which I find equally unattractive. I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would want to pierce their lips, eyebrows, nose or tongue…..what is attractive about a stud in the middle of one's tongue ? Isn't it painful or inconvenient when eating? Now men and women are piercing their breasts and genitals in increasing numbers. I should like to know the psychological reason for this. because it can hardly be comfortable. However, I suppose, unlike tattoos, piercing is not so permanent in the same way. However, for whatever reason, I place tattoos in the same category as self mutilation, particularly as they are there for a life time and so many will regret the impulse that made them get them in the first place. Does any small picture of a small bird on a leg or a shoulder delight the viewer? I am afraid it does the opposite for me and only detracts from the natural beauty of the human body.
Posted by snake, Tuesday, 7 September 2010 7:43:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Being a boring old judgemental grumpy fuddy duddy is much more fun. What's next, BAH HUMBUG?.

If you don't like it, don't get one. Fairly simple. My missus got monstrous tattoo on her back of various things signifying her double lung transplant. You'd see it and judge her for it, not knowing the significance of it. Why not take the time to talk with some people who've got one instead of sitting there judging like some old Worzel Gummadge.

How does it affect your day to day?. Personally, I'm not a fan of piercings, but to each their own.
Posted by StG, Tuesday, 7 September 2010 12:51:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
a return to paganism. Secularism can't feel the god vacuum. It ends up being replaced by drugs, alcohol, permissiveness, body piercing, tatoos and anything else that comforts being that they don't really come from slime.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 7 September 2010 1:00:29 PM
Speaking of judgemental hypocrites...
Posted by StG, Tuesday, 7 September 2010 1:16:19 PM
That's quite good runner. Very entertaining. 3 stars. BTW What do you think about the many pagan rituals undertaken at Christmas?

I like tramp-stamps. Nothing like a tattoo to show your lack of imagination and individuality.

http://thingsboganslike.wordpress.com/2009/10/19/3-tramp-stamps/

I don't mind most piercings, but I wonder sometimes if the objective is to make one more attractive. Certainly the piercings on one side of the mouth offend notions of symmetry being attractive.

http://www.faceresearch.org/students/notes/symmetry.pdf

'Now men and women are piercing their breasts and genitals in increasing numbers. I should like to know the psychological reason for this.'

It's a sex thing. Enhances clitoral and nipple stimulation, cunnilingus and fellatio.
Posted by Houellebecq, Tuesday, 7 September 2010 1:18:37 PM
Houellebecq,

I don't particularly like the Christmas pagan rituals although I so enjoy the food, family time and the fact that people tend to treat others a little more nicely.

StG

Read your own words and reflect.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 7 September 2010 1:35:57 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy