The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Artificial Intelligence - our future?

Artificial Intelligence - our future?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Dear Foxy,

I think we under- estimate just how mind-bogglingly intricate are the workings of the psyche. In the case of an artificial intelligence designed as a carer, if it was designed to meet more than practical needs, it would need not only self-awareness but also a "theory of mind". This is an ability to empathise. This is something that people on the autistic spectrum struggle with. We struggle to assist even those high on the autism spectrum to understand and evaluate their relationship in a reciprocal context with their fellows - it would seem something extremely difficult to achieve starting from scatch.
Posted by Poirot, Tuesday, 31 August 2010 9:30:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Heh heh very droll Hasbeen. I had an unfortunate image of how that might play out in long range warfare.

In regard to cows, perhaps the future will see cows being AI'd by AIs. Doesn't bear thinking about. :)
Posted by pelican, Tuesday, 31 August 2010 10:05:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My goodness Hasbeen - your oil change comment provoked the most unfortunate mental image...

I'm all in favour of artificial intelligence. Perhaps it could come in portable packs like an external hard drive, so that those who are unfortunately deficient in natural intelligence could top theirs up as required.

Like before posting comments on the Internet, for example.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Tuesday, 31 August 2010 10:14:23 AM
My goodness C J , that was an all mighty coincidence, a Road Train just stopped here , and with a delivery from Centurian Intel for CJ M
Posted by All-, Tuesday, 31 August 2010 10:41:31 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks everyone for your interesting posts.
Artificial Insemination - (good one Hasbeen)
and it could be taken further as CJ suggested.
Perhaps anything is possible in the future?

As I stated in my opening post - this thread
was inspired by an ABC program on what is
being developed currently in Japan where the
population is rapidly declining and immigration
seems to be unacceptable.

The aging population is increasing and the working
population is decreasing. Thus, reliance on machines
they seem to feel, for the care of the aged, is
inevitable.

It is unfortunate that the Japanese psyche and cultural
history will not accept migration to boost the
declining population.

As for what's possible with machines, I too don't
quite comprehend how they will be able to manufacture
"empathy," "conscience," and other human qualities.
However, is it possible that with so called "computer
gliches," and persistant human endeavours a first spark
may be created for machines to acquire the capability
to create their own programmes - which could lead to
developed so called "higher intelligence?"

Or am I delving into the realms of fantasy here?
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 31 August 2010 10:59:04 AM
manufacture
"empathy," "conscience," and other human qualities.
Foxy,
they've managed to kill those but hopefully they'll get their hands on some DNA of same & recreate it again.
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 31 August 2010 1:34:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy