The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Organ Donation

Organ Donation

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Stealing this from an ABC radio talk today two points of interest.
Some, far too many, who ask that their organs be donated are not having the wish carried out family refuse after death.
Do they have that right? do we have that right?
Why not take every ones organs unless they have said no why bury two people one sadly dead one killed by not having the chance.
Second point of the debate was why not pay for the donors funeral?
My view is we could talk about cheaper funerals in another thread but if not donating was by exception we may not need to bribe any one to save life.
We need to confront cultural things that get in the way of change if change is for the better as a Christian my view would be the same as it is now if I could save a life why not?
we needed a change from politics.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 18 August 2010 6:17:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly,
To raise such an issue just before an election indicates that you too, like everyone else, is heartly sick of the election spiel and the commercials. I am sick of seeing the leaders faces and mute them all the time.

On topic. As i see it the matter is not political except that it shows just how far out of touch our politicians are because there are very few people that would go against the wishes of the deceased in indicating his desire for any organs to be used for another person.
I do not think any party has a policy on the matter.

I have yet to hear a rational argument against such a move.

Have you ever raised the matter at your branch meetings? If not maybe you should. It may not be a big vote winner but not contraversial either and would indicate that your party was listening to the electors.

I agree with you that the organs should be harvested unless the deceased has indicated otherwise. The only objectors to this would be the extremist minority that may, or may not, have a connection with a religion.
Posted by Banjo, Friday, 20 August 2010 10:49:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly,
Thanks for this topic.
I think that organ donation should be an opt-out system rather than opt-in because many patients die while waiting for an organ.

While organ donation needs to be encouraged, as a tax payer I don't wish to pay for other people's funerals.

Suitable potential organ donors who have not opted in or, where an opt-out system exists, opted out should naturally be moved down the waiting list when they themselves are waiting for an organ donation.
Posted by Celivia, Friday, 20 August 2010 5:56:58 PM
Surely every one is sick of the election?
The winner will not be our best government no matter who wins if my mob crawl over the line they have much to get right.
Yes do not let religion see people die needlessly,do not let relatives blinded by love of a dead person stop a wish made long before death.
Take the organs if it helps and only if we say no do not.
Not our loved ones ,never bury a stranger in your loved ones grave if you can save them.
We unfortunately are less able to see others need than we once could.
Our nation once, was built on mate ship looking after the other bloke ,at that graveside of one you cry for think about this.
Soon other will cry ,because the organ needed to give some one a chances rotting in the ground.
Posted by Belly, Friday, 20 August 2010 6:08:33 PM
Maybe I was a bit too frank, a little to confronting.
Rot in the ground?
Well on this subject we must confront our selves.
We donate blood and get to be proud of it.
But our country has one of the worst organ donation records.
Partly because those we leave behind change our intentions after we no longer have a say.
Would they if it was another loved one who may benefit?
Surely some one who has changed the pledge of a dead loved one later waited and hoped for a donor for themselves or another.
It should be law that only by exception organs can not be taken.
We should look at and review all aspects of death funeral costs ,what happens to unknown body's its not Dracula stuff its to maintain a life.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 21 August 2010 6:55:30 AM
Yeah, losing Rudd was a tragedy for this topic. He was transplant recipient's biggest hope.

People don't sign up because of apathy and not wanting to give organs to junkies of various descriptions when the tragedy of that is that one donor can save and change the lives of many people. People are dying everyday through lack of educating the masses with facts.

Until someone important - like Rudd - has seen the genuine benefits first hand of who is actually benefiting from these organs then nothing will change and many innocent people with genetic disorders and others who need transplants from accidents and viruses will keep dying daily.

My particular flag is Cystic Fibrosis. My partner has got it and had a double lung transplant at the age of 29. Without it she WOULD be dead right now. She is doing good in the community and has earned those lungs that someone so selflessly donated to her through the death of their loved one. I can't thank them enough and we all weep in remembering them every 29th of December.

Thanks for the topic.
Posted by StG, Saturday, 21 August 2010 7:43:27 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy