The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What happened to sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me?

What happened to sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
For a start, 'Boer' is Afrikaans for 'Farmer'. The word isn't racist. How a 'Boer' acts is.

You left out the bit that was proof this bloke was referring to the Afrikaans 'Boer' with his plates. How do you know his plates are a racist statement and not referring to being a goat meat breeder?.

You didn't explain this. Apologies if you just forgot to mention this.

And obviously 'nazi' plates aren't okay. Good grief.

And just while I'm here gearing up to ignore your next comment. Just FYI. http://www.australianboergoat.com.au/
Posted by StG, Wednesday, 11 August 2010 9:04:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The only real issue is that Premier Anna Bligh fell over her feet in her blind rush to support her State Labor MLA Peta-Kaye Croft.

What advice did Anna Bligh obtain from The Honourable Cameron Dick MP, Attorney-General and Minister for Industrial Relations before second-guessing and embarrassing the magistrate?

What was the knee-jerk reaction intended to achieve and was it appropriate for the Premier to take that serious step, especially over a minor matter? She is reported as speculating on future actions by police on similar matters which was also inappropriate:

'Ms Bligh said she thinks the fact that the case was brought before the courts is a step forward.

"I think even the fact that this ended up in court should send a message out there - that sort of thing is part of a different time and part of the last century," she said.'
http://www.mygc.com.au/article/news/local-newsroom/29553-race-hate-words-not-offensive-to-reasonable-people.php

Many would take that as encouraging complaints and police charges, which is the opposite of what should be read into the Magistrate's decision. Courts should not be swayed by populist political opinion. One would have thought the Premier's first consideration would have been to maintain the credibility of the judiciary and courts by not commenting on individual cases, but not so it appears.
Posted by Cornflower, Wednesday, 11 August 2010 9:19:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Any action or word by a chap that is considered 'innaprpriate' by a feminist is likely to result in the Police being called in and/or a feminist Premier seeking 'action'.

One aspect that has evaded scrutiny is the young woman's being 'offended'. Why on earth would she be offended by a message that she simply sighted and was not even meant for her? Why would she be offended at all? It was not a personal attack on her. It did not impune her in any way. Indeed it was nothing to do with her.

But she 'felt' secure in the knowledge that a complaint from her would be sufficient to land a chap in hot water. What made her so sure that her being 'offended' even when no offence could be had by any reasonable person? (the Magistrate's finding). It was a faux-offense.

I put it to you that there is a bias against men that makes any ludicrous complaint about a man by a woman be taken in disproportionate seriousness even top the point of calling in the Police. The police, of course, take any accusation by a woman against a man as 'serious'. This is ironically a denigration of women. Any woman it seems is so fragile and frail that she must be 'protected' from even seeing a message written by a man to someone else in case she has the vapours.

No wonder Superman is no longer to be seen. He is very likey debarred from rescuing anyone since a complaint that his actions offend the sensibilities of the modern 'empowered' woman secretary.
Posted by Amfortas, Wednesday, 11 August 2010 11:01:02 PM
STG,
It actually does say Premier (meat) Goat. Is there such an animal as a Premier Goose as well ?
I find it astounding that some bloke writes an unkind word word & ends up getting taken to court whilst some woman via her incompetent/corrupt supporters can ruin the lives of many & gets rewarded by taxpayers money. Is there any logic out there at all ?
Posted by individual, Thursday, 12 August 2010 5:59:54 AM
What is truly amazing is that Anna took this opportunity to get national and international attention, while federal Labor has everyone at the pumps trying to overcome the negative effect of the 'Anna Factor' in Queensland.
Posted by Cornflower, Thursday, 12 August 2010 6:51:27 AM
at least we can still use the words 'pom', 'yank' and 'kiwi' without being seen as racist. Or is that a case of double-standards?

The words didn't trigger the "remove the profanity!" safeguard that Foxy came up against http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?discussion=3870#95257.

Just proves you have to be White to be a racist.
Posted by Austin Powerless, Thursday, 12 August 2010 11:28:03 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy