The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Women in the Christian church

Women in the Christian church

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 60
  8. 61
  9. 62
  10. All
Well, women are copping it from all sides within the major Christian churches of the West.

The Anglicans are split on ordination of women, as seen here:

"Father David Houlding summed up the feeling of many conservative clergy members who will feel compelled to leave the church if women bishops goes ahead. “There are just scraps left of the table and we are beginning to starve,” he said, his voice cracking. “The door is being slammed in my face.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/desperately-difficult-to-keep-church-together-over-women-bishops-2024774.html

And what about the Roman Catholics:

"THE Roman Catholic Church elevated the ordination of women to one of the most serious crimes in Canon Law yesterday.

"The ordination of women is now on the same level as child abuse in the eyes of the Church."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/ordination-of-women-as-bad-as-child-abuse-in-vaticans-eyes/story-e6frg6so-1225892551761

Surely this cannot be?

Can women be so evil and threatening that even God, who so kindly created them, regard them as being as bad as having sex with a child?

Really, where does this sort of thinking come from in the 21st Century?

Are there any cogent arguments for denying women an equal role in Christianity?

Should Australia question the role of the Christian church in the affairs of the nation, given that 'religion' is given a tax free gift and a very special set of privileges in our society?

Would we support a BHP directive that no women are to rise to the CEO position?

Or would they be howled out of the corporate world, and their special status with governments?
Posted by The Blue Cross, Tuesday, 20 July 2010 11:44:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
TBC

For someone who has showed as much hatred for the church as you it is surprising that you should care about this topic. Or are u just raising the issue in order to spew your hatred.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 20 July 2010 3:35:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ah Runner, just the chap (for I am sure no Christian women would be allowed to post up here given the low regard Christians hold for them).

You've been missing for a while and you are just the man to tell us what it is about women that makes God so fear them.

How about it old chap?

Can you send in the set number of words and explain why the Pope regards women being turned into priests as being as big a sin as having sex with 'the kiddies' in the choir?

Or why that nice old bearded man from Canterbury is unable to persuade half his flock that women are 'OK' to have as priests?

It's a real mystery to some of us who deal with women so well, and on a daily basis too.

As for your cruel jibes.... dear oh dear, I am taken aback by your utterances.

This is a serious issue that we all have an interest in. As secular society has started to come to grips with women as equal-beings, still hard to see in some areas of course, you Christians have taken a Dr Who leap backwards in time.

Why should secular society continue to afford any privileges to your religion, or any other religion for that matter, if it is so set on diminishing the role of more than half of our community?

Suppose Cardinal Pell said his 'special girl', Kristina Keneally, should not be premier simply because she was a woman, how would that sit with all those goons in the ALP in NSW.

Or our new PM Runner?

Why should our new PM be denied her position, on the basis of her gender?

Serious matters Runner, and I am interested to hear you justify the Christian position here, or, maybe, even denounce it if that is what you really feel.

Or is this involve 'the secret we dare not speak of'?
Posted by The Blue Cross, Tuesday, 20 July 2010 4:51:36 PM
Given the equanimity with which the latest ex-cathedra misogyny appears to have been received, I can only infer that women, or at least sisters in Christ, enjoy their debased station beneath men. Why indeed has this issue not provoked an outrage? The brides of Christ should be burning their habits outside Vatican walls, casting a parting brown-eye heavenward and leaving to rejoin the world. The paparazzi should be scurrying frantically to cover maenad protests erupting in the world's capitals. Parishioners should be leaving the naves of their respective churches chill with the want of their patronage. But no, the hideous, brainless dinosaur that is the church (of whatever tradition) continues to bulk large and stupid in the modern world unmolested.
I'm afraid it only confirms my suspicions, that women are the most conservative among us (as a body). Indeed, in their quietism they are complicit in their own denigration, Christian or Moslem.
Posted by Squeers, Tuesday, 20 July 2010 5:44:18 PM
Well Squeers, it's true that in our ABS Census it appears that women fall for religion at a faster rate than men do, except within the Muslim, Jewish and Coptic Christian branches of mumbo-jumbo, where men predominate.

And men are more prepared to distance themselves from religion too.

Is this God's work, or cultural hegemonic training I wonder?

I know I find it hard to understand how a woman could bother to hang-in to either the Anglican or Catholic brands, given that they are scorned so much, and regarded as being just a whisker off being Auld Nick hisself.

But then again, why do gay/lesbian people hang around either, since they really are 'the Devil' as far as the loving Christian is concerned.

It is truly a miracle that they bother and allow themselves to be so put-upon.

What did Kant have to say on this peculiar, and very damaging, behaviour?
Posted by The Blue Cross, Tuesday, 20 July 2010 6:23:00 PM
TBC, It is not like me to offer any support to anything religious but not all christian churches are as sexist as the catholic church. To the best of my knowledge having been draged through their system, the salvation army have always allowed women to be officers. Don't take this as a glowing endorsement of this organisation it isn't, just a point.

There is nowhere to start and finnish with religious organisations and the way they operate. It truly is appalling that after all the ongoing evidence of abuse of children throughout the whole catholic church organisation over generations and the efforts of the church at all levels of control to deny and cover up the abuse never mind protect the predators they are still allowed to get off with pretending it is an isolated issue of very few. Why is the world so weak that they are not prepared to stand up to these sick people who deal with the insecurity of others as their product to profit from.
Posted by nairbe, Tuesday, 20 July 2010 6:44:32 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 60
  8. 61
  9. 62
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy