The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Do you have something you really love?

Do you have something you really love?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
I did love the yacht I lived on, & sailed over much of the Pacific for 19 years.

I love my 23 year old stallion, we've had since he was a 7 month old colt. I trained him to show jump, & in turn he taught 2 of my kids. He taught them how to win, & more importantly, he taught them to still enjoy the day, when they lost. I love the way he calls & comes over, when ever I go down the paddock.

But most of all "things" I love my car. It's a 1980 Triumph sports car. Not a particularly popular model, or very fast, by today's standards, but it suites me, & I "built" it.

Ten years ago, when the kids no longer went show jumping, or out with us much, I bought 2 semi wrecks, one with no engine, & one with a failed gearbox, in pretty poor condition, for the princely sum of $1300. Over the next 12 months, I built one car, mostly from the 2, but with a lot of new, & second hand parts.

I could have bought a very nice one for the final cost, but this is not just a nice car, this is "my" car. I know every nut & bolt in it, & when the motor is puring, it's puring because of how I put it together.

I love the simple technology which can be "fixed" with a bit of bailing twine, & a length of fencing wire, & I love the way it feels on our bumpy country roads.

It's given me 9 years of happy motoring, & I wouldn't swap it for half a dozen new cars. Whats more, it's worth more now than it was 9 years ago.

What isn't to love about it.

So that's my secret love, what's yours.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 14 July 2010 12:40:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
2 cross Foxys Sky and Blue, my NRL team its flag on the wall,the southern cross one beside it.
Back veranda on a summer night or when the moon comes up over the hill.
Life good days and bad election nights the last and the next, oh will enjoy my states one in march too.
It is, aways will be the little things that make life great,will never own a boat but love the sea always life live it love it and be happy warts and all.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 14 July 2010 7:50:58 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Do I have something I really love?

Not my car, not my job or house or any particular person.

The things that I love the most are - the karri forest of the deep southwest, boab trees in the Kimberley, blue Banksias in the heathland on the mountains of Hinchinbrook Island, fan palm forest at Mission Beach, wreath Lechenaultias at Mullewa, huon pines in Tasmania, wattles in the Warrumbingles….and the list goes on and on…..and on.
Posted by Ludwig, Wednesday, 14 July 2010 8:54:21 AM
Bungled that - wattles in the Warrumbungles!
Posted by Ludwig, Wednesday, 14 July 2010 8:55:47 AM
I'm not very materialistic, so there aren't many 'things' that I love.

Today the thing that I most love is my combustion heater, because it's absolutely vile here today. They're forecasting sleet later...

As far as other objects go, my 12-foot tinny and my laptop are probably my favourite things. Of course, there's my lovely old dog but she ranks slightly higher than an 'object'.

Like Ludwig, what I really love are the innumerable special places in the Australian landscape where I've been, and that I've yet to discover.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Wednesday, 14 July 2010 9:17:22 AM
Sounds as though you live in Tasmania CJM ? Come up to Sunny and warm Queensland. That's what I love
Posted by snake, Wednesday, 14 July 2010 9:26:36 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy