The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Humanitarian crisis

Humanitarian crisis

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
This is a very depressing thread.

polpak sees "racism" in a simple statement of the facts.

Custard and Jayb argue about - well I don;t even understand what point they're trying to make.

Guys, on average Aborigines die two DECADES younger than non-Aboriginal Australians. Does no one feel even a slight sense of SHAME about this?

Most people here would say there was a "humanitarian crisis" in Gaza. They are capable of getting quite indignant about it.

But Gazans on average outlive Aborigines by more than a DECADE.

Realistically no one in Australia can do much about Gaza. But surely it is within our power to do SOMETHING to help Aboriginal Australia.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Thursday, 24 June 2010 7:59:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Actually, who were you a guest of? You know the picture, what do you think makes it like that? How could people live in such filth? Well? Come on... Is it because of the fact that the rubbish may or may not be picked up from one week to the next? That bins left full where there are so many dogs are going to be knocked over?

As to why they should feel any responsibility for anything? Would you? If you LIVED there, as opposed to visiting, WOULD YOU? For how long? How long do you have to keep a human being in such conditions before they no longer notice them or even try to fix them?

As you have been there, you too will have noticed the air of absolute disinterest. The hopelessness pervading the entirety of some areas is just that, hopelessness. Literally, the inhabitants are past the point at which all hope is abandoned and you advocate what? And the inhabitants are animals? What would that make you mate?

Or do you honestly believe the crap you just spouted? Essentially something to do with Phrenology or something? Or is it that you have lost all hope of anything changing too? I've come close, I must admit, but I've seen people achieve it, granted with a LOT of work. Can you live with the knowledge you have, while trying to sink any effort to bring about change? Honestly? I'm interested to know, we've both seen the same things, how is it you see no hope and don't care? Is it a lack of empathy or a lack of decency?

It may suprise you, but it is only 200 years ago Dickens saw the same in London, given your approach, it would still be there. The problems are too hard, just give up - yet you regard yourself as superior to those that live in the communities and have done the same?
Posted by Custard, Thursday, 24 June 2010 8:04:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear stevenlmeyer,

You are of course correct, the statistics of the health outcomes of our rural indigenous citizens are indeed a disgrace. We should all be ashamed and need to continue to press our government to do much better in 'closing the gap'.

Perhaps we could take some lessons from Hamas. From the CIA fact book from where you appear to have drawn your figures Hama's coming to power saw a quite incredible drop in infant mortality rates despite the sanctions and their resulting deprivations.

The rate had been falling at a little over 2% per annum in the preceding 6 years but in their first year in power Hamas dropped the rate by 13.16%. The following year it no where near as large but it was still an impressive 3.42% and this last year 3.67% was the figure.

This was despite the attacks from Israel which the WHO says resulted in “Fifteen of the 27 hospitals were damaged during the three-week assault, and at least 43 primary health centres were damaged or destroyed (24 were fully or partly closed during the three weeks of attacks). Al Quds Hospital was heavily damaged, with one ward totally destroyed and other areas partly destroyed." ... "A total of 16 health services staff were killed and 25 injured in the line of duty, and 29 ambulances were damaged or destroyed.”

and

“Before the crisis 80% of the water supplied in the Gaza Strip did not meet WHO standards for drinking. During the attacks the water network was severely damaged, and as a result of damage to the waste treatment system the aquifer has been contaminated.”

What they have been able to achieve on infant mortality rates has been remarkable under the circumstances and could possibly be an inspiration to Australians wanting to improve things in our own back yard.

This could be a reason the population of Gaza voted them in in the first place.

What do you think?
Posted by csteele, Saturday, 26 June 2010 12:15:40 AM
csteele

What do I think?

I think on THIS thread we should focus on the unutterably DISGRACEFUL humanitarian crisis that exists in Australia.

If you are so minded you could start a separate thread extolling the virtues of Hamas. Given the complete lack of interest - other than lip service - in Aboriginal welfare in Australia that will probably attract more attention.

In any case I doubt that basics like an absence of potable water is the cause of the HORRIFIC Aboriginal mortality statistics.

So, do you have anything practical to say about the topic of THIS thread?
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Saturday, 26 June 2010 12:32:20 AM
Hmmm csteele,

I thought not.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Saturday, 26 June 2010 11:07:55 AM
The "double-standard", that a white Australian visiting the place is entitled to regard the situation as hopeless, because the people who have lived there have come to accept the same, is a valid judgment upon which to act is incredible.

If a visitor is so easily and completely convinced of the hopelessness of the position, please inform me how in gods name the inhabitants are to blame for feeling the same sense of apathy? For it is certain that the majority of them have existed in that self-same environment for quite some considerable time more than the "casual" visitor.

How do we change things? Look very closely at what has and hasn't worked in the past. Look where the failure is, for mine, it is the fact that we continue to deal with the same self-interested, entirely corrupt and corrupting groups as "we" always have. Therefore it matters not one whit how much money is thrown at the problem, it will be absorbed like a sponge by these bloated leaches.

Until there is a complete and merciless audit of the financial position and the underlying fraudulent conduct (with ACTUAL JAIL TERMS being handed down), until there is a fundamental shift in Government attitudes, from wanting to deal with those it is "easy and quick" to deal with, to dealing with those who may be a little more intransigent and difficult, but honest. To this I would add, there MUST be a Royal Commission into the various practices that have taken place for years, where Public Servants have knowingly acted to dishonestly improve the position of these "administrators", whether by sheltering them from prosecution or by ensuring that they receive benefits over and above those they are entitled to.

The corruption and nepotism are the keys, break that and you break the cycle that entraps whole regions of this country to continued crime, poverty, malnutrition and the rest. The difference it makes will be far greater than what that money buys directly, it will also signal that there is now hope for the future.
Posted by Custard, Saturday, 26 June 2010 11:46:19 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy