The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Ok those who think Corporations are sensitive and responsible...

Ok those who think Corporations are sensitive and responsible...

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. All
*but if Yabby overhears me he'll accuse me of being a commie*

Not really Severin, for I can't recall accusing anyone on
OLO of being a commie. Given your background of being a
waitress, I would indeed be pleansantly suprised if you
ever contributed anythng useful to economic debates,
but so far I can't recall that being the case.

*Corporations become amoral, and seek to adversely influence HUMAN society in favour of PROFITS.*

There is no objective morality Examinator, so what is in your
opinion adverse, is nothing more then your personal opinion.

Indeed corporations need to make profits and no, its not a dirty
word. Just as you seek payment for your services, they seek payment for theirs.
Those profits are commonly reinvested to a large degree,
to provide you with even better goods and services, even cheaper
then before.

Corporations have as much right as people to express their opinions,
for they represent groups of people, many who decided to save a few
bob for a rainy day, rather then forever bludge on the state, as
many do.

Stern wisely points out, that they are the best way of organising
joint stock companies and all the rest of you benefit. It is why
you lead the cushy lifestyle that you do.

You are creating your own strawman argument, by claiming that
there is argument for no regulation. That is a US neocon argument,
as per Bush and his mates. Most of us on OLO have in fact argued
that there needs to be balance, as I have pointed out again and again.

Capitalism may be flawed, but so is democracy, so is politcs, so
are people.

What can be argued is that we need intelligent regulation, we
need intelligent regulators. Our present politicians can hardly
be called that
Posted by Yabby, Thursday, 17 June 2010 3:01:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yabby

1. You regularly cast slurs on people who have the temerity to suggest that industry requires regulation just like any other human endeavour. Some people simply can't be trusted.

2. Like many tertiary students, I worked for a while as a waitress while living in the USA - that does not make for a "background as a waitress", I hold a degree in Applied Science, have worked in professional capacity for many years - as my writing clearly attests.

3. Corporations are no more than groups of people and as such require policies and a framework within which to function. Without such a framework we have issues like the GFC, or the catastrophic results of shoddy techniques resulting in oil spills.

That you actually attempt to excuse behaviour as illustrated in point 3, reveals a lack of intellectual reasoning that would be laughable if you were the only person who held such myopic opinions. Sadly there are too many like you in the boardrooms of monolithic corporations: irresponsible and uncaring.
Posted by Severin, Thursday, 17 June 2010 3:17:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
G'day Frackers!

Same ol', same ol' eh?
Posted by Ginx, Thursday, 17 June 2010 3:19:19 PM
Hehe Severin, I thought that would burst your boil :) You deserved
it. Pass smartarse comments which are clearly incorrect, you will
get it back.

*You regularly cast slurs on people who have the temerity to suggest that industry requires regulation just like any other human endeavour*

Not so, not even in my last post, not on the thread where Examinator
was feeling sorry for himself about his treatment by Telstra. I
clearly pointed out and have done so many times on OLO, that we
need a balance, a separation of the powers.

I also continue to point out that the GFC and BP oil spills
are due to the lack of regulation enforcement by the Bush regime
over many years, so they carry a share of the blame.

I continue to point out, that Bush was a dummie, elected by the
people, so democracy too, has its flaws.

If you are going to comment about my posts, at least bother to
read what I have written.
Posted by Yabby, Thursday, 17 June 2010 3:44:26 PM
Yabby I'm with Severin (hardly unexpected). Also love Ginx's no-nonsense gritty comments.

What constitutes intelligent regulation is very much in the eye of the beholder.

To some mere mention of the word regulation, sends people scurrying for reds under the beds.

We can only cross our fingers that we have learned from the GFC and won't repeat the mistakes of the past but while I try not to be pessimistic, I am not holding my breath. The bigger the Greed the greater the power and it will take strong leadership to reduce the disparities which are only further empowered by this relentless faith in unfettered free market economics.
Posted by pelican, Friday, 18 June 2010 1:32:21 PM
Thanks Pelican

A bit rich for Yabby to claim: >> Pass smartarse comments which are clearly incorrect, you will get it back. <<

Yabby your opening post to Examinator started thusly:

>> ROFL Examinator, corporations are about being realists, keep the
sensitive bit for your lover :) <<

That is personal and is a deliberate attempt at misdirection given that Examinator's topic is about developing the means by which corporations can be held accountable.

Conducting war is about being real as well, however we still have laws against war-crimes such as genocide, ethinic cleansing and the like.

Your continual use of ad hominems and misdirection is transparent to any reader of your posts. Try playing the ball - you may actually win a debate for a change.

PS

I would like to apologise to any workers in the service industry when I sought to establish my bona fides as having a greater background than just waiting tables. OLO is an open forum and people who work as waiters or other services have valid opinions and as much right to express them as any flea-bitten farmer.
Posted by Severin, Friday, 18 June 2010 2:36:38 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. All