The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Lara Bingle and an Hilaly moment

Lara Bingle and an Hilaly moment

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Not "trying to take the ...", just pointing out that his views in this area aren't so outlandish. What struck me about the Hilaly issue was that I think he was being criticised for an issue that he could be "got" on, but that the real reasons people were after him had nothing to do with him being a sexist.

What he's just been caught saying in Egypt is far more serious.
Posted by GrahamY, Thursday, 18 January 2007 10:14:54 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Does Lara Bingle's invitation sound a bit on the bullying side while Hilaly seems to be the evidence of the bullied?

Even the Poms were intimidated by the "bloody hell" and then were more intimidated into accepting the bloody remark.

Is Australia too remote to understand what is going down out there?
Posted by bumblebee, Thursday, 18 January 2007 11:20:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
But they are... outlandish to the extreme, can you imagine if one of the sport people said in defence of those cricket (were they cricket) rapes, or even Shane Warns bonking around.

"well those type of women are uncovered meat and deserving" etc

We have a standard of right and wrong that we regognize and accept...

Hilali and his ideals/beleifs/aims/ hopes what ever these things are of his are... fall into areas we think are grotesque..
Posted by meredith, Thursday, 18 January 2007 11:48:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'"It goes back to an ancient kind of stereotype surrounding beautiful women," says Associate Professor Catharine Lumby from the University of Sydney. "They have a magical, evil power over men. There's a deep fear of the power of women's bodies, and Bingle has been turned into a media stereotype, like a siren from Greek mythology, luring helpless men to disaster and then heartlessly moving on.'

What a load of bulldust. Men are, and always have been responsible for their own actions. But it's quite convenient to be able to put the blame on an attractive woman [or a succession of them!], after a man makes his own conscious decision to play around.

I learned Ballroom/Latin dancing when I was 16, after my very wise mother told me that was the best way to meet girls. As a dancer, the women I tend to find visually attractive are the fit, healthy looking ones, not overly made-up, but confident of their own appearance, regardless of what they may [or may not] be wearing. Similar to swimmers, skaters, tennis players etc.

Any man who can dance [at any age, I'm now 72] and is of moderate habits, otherwise presentable and accepts women as human beings and not as commodities, can easily make new female friends. And looks, from either point of view, can be largely irrelevant. And no-one [of either sex] needs to feel overawed by the supposed beauty of anyone else.

Putting the blame for cheating on your partner on the attractiveness of someone else is, to my mind, like putting your choice to do something stupid on peer pressure. Maybe this excuse can have some [repeat, some] validity for young teenagers, but surely not for so-called adults.

As for Poms being upset by our tourism slogan, perhaps a tiny minority may be, but for most it would be a non-event, taken out of proportion by the non-representative authorities and the media. A bit like our beer ad of years ago, I wouldn't give a XXXX for anything else, banned by the UK censors, but laughed at by Poms in general.
Posted by Rex, Thursday, 18 January 2007 3:09:34 PM
Lara Bingly is not going to have much going for her if she moves around under a black sheet, as our mufti would prefer it. If Hilaly with his mindset and communication skill is able to lead a religion in Australia this religion can’t have much going for it either.
Posted by SILLE, Monday, 22 January 2007 7:50:14 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy