The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Lara Bingle and an Hilaly moment

Lara Bingle and an Hilaly moment

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
This article from The Age http://www.theage.com.au/news/people/lay-off-lara/2007/01/13/1168105227912.html suggests that Sheik Al-Hilaly is not so much out on his own, at least when it comes to uncovered meat, as many might like to think.

"SHE burst into the public arena last year as the face of Australian tourism's cheeky, laid-back "So Where the Bloody Hell are You?" campaign, but in less than a year Lara Bingle has morphed into a combination of Cleopatra, Mata Hari and Paris Hilton, all wrapped up in one voluptuous, man-eating, wife-terrifying, 19-year-old package.

Worst of all, she has preyed on the nation's most helpless, hopeless fools for love — footballers and cricketers. While the discussion in coffee shops and at barbecues all over the country this week has been about Bingle, the question left hanging is where the bloody hell are the men in all this?"

Indeed, and so it goes on. The Mufti's bass can almost be heard resonating through in the harmonies.

Cat Lumby puts it into mythical context:

"It goes back to an ancient kind of stereotype surrounding beautiful women," says Associate Professor Catharine Lumby from the University of Sydney. "They have a magical, evil power over men. There's a deep fear of the power of women's bodies, and Bingle has been turned into a media stereotype, like a siren from Greek mythology, luring helpless men to disaster and then heartlessly moving on.

"It's concerning to see how an individual can be so stereotyped, and the coverage has been quite mean-spirited. We often see this kind of treatment of attractive female celebrities."

While Professor Joy Damousi puts it down to our sporting culture:

"Male sportsmen are so iconic in our culture that they're elevated to a status almost beyond reproach. In a place like Melbourne they're bigger than pop stars. When they get in trouble they're seen as young blokes who need to sow their seeds."

If Hilaly hadn't shot his mouth off in Egypt, he might be able to enjoy a laugh at home in Sydney. Apparently reformed convicts aren't any more enlightened about women's sexuality than muslim muftis.
Posted by GrahamY, Tuesday, 16 January 2007 4:44:16 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I love the analogy Graham.
Many Aussie sport stars like Shane Warne are not good role models.If this trend of irresponsible young men being totally indulged by their egos continues,then there will be many an unhappy man in the future who will suffer failed relationships because they are totally consumed with themselves,driven be media images of impossible expectations, rather than entering mature relationships that considers others with realistic expectations of what is possible within their socio/economic group.

The result will be unhappy and dysfunctional children,and many lonely and unhappy old men and women.
Posted by Arjay, Tuesday, 16 January 2007 7:27:26 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A great tragedy of modern Australia is that morality and behavior some a distant second to 'iconic status and success' ?

Seems that way. Soon we will be considering the very Aussie cultural idea of 'Best and FAIRest' redundant, and replacing it with the English and American ideas of 'most valuable player'. MVP

Nothing else should be expected since we chopped our cultural values umbilical chord off in the early 60s.
But as one feminist write on the subject of the 'muff'.. removal of female pubic hair recently said (which I still believe most missed) 'Where to next' ?

Bingle is representative of a major reason modern marraiges fail, and simply become "long (or short) term 'relationships'". Its all about ME stupid......Maybe Bingle has a score card.. or..like a Chinese friend who kept pictures of all the girls he had 'conquered' on his laptop....the opposite sex are simply 'raw material' to be processed in terms of a nihilistic and existential fulfillment of the 'ME' principle.

The absence of teaching moral values and more importantly the foundation for them, (being the Spiritual) will increasingly result in this type of behavior.

Hilaly might have his foot in his mouth, but he is at least speaking from the viewpoint of 'spiritual foundation' no matter how unsound that foundation is.

Its hard for a secular person to argue with Hilali, because he could easily show the poverty of their position, and demonstrate with great ease the destination of the moral relativism underlying such a position.

Without Gods love in our hearts, why should we or would we love our neighbours ? The lack of neighbourly love will become more and more manifest over time, as the last vestages of connection with our Judao Christian traditions are fully eroded by secularism.

Then, not only will God be 'dead' but so will we.

Ecclesiastes 3:19
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=25&chapter=3&version=31
Posted by BOAZ_David, Wednesday, 17 January 2007 7:19:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'll give some thought to Lara Bingle if ever she "preys" on me. I wonder if I would better able to resist her shocking, predatory, female chauvinistic attacks better than have the big, strong and sexy young blokes she has taken advantage of.
Posted by Leigh, Wednesday, 17 January 2007 2:22:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
GY

Apparently reformed convicts aren't any more enlightened about women's sexuality than muslim muftis.

Some how i think you are taking the you know what... of course we are more enlightened, we dont preach rape and hatred of women.
Posted by meredith, Wednesday, 17 January 2007 5:35:05 PM
we don't push for them to wear black sheets over their faces and bodys either. :P
Posted by meredith, Wednesday, 17 January 2007 5:37:18 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy