The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is Australia really a racist country

Is Australia really a racist country

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Or is it just like other countries where the racist are in the minority?

I'm back and forth about my beliefs as to whether or not the majority of Australians are racist people.I know that there are probably more well known outright racist people in Australia than in other countries.Even though racism is all around.

But I wonder if Pauline Hanson, Andrew Fraser and some others are really the voice of the silent racist. Somethings just don't add up,maybe some Australians are pretending to like the new Mulitcultural Australia so they won't be seen as racist by some in their communities. Behind closed doors they create all kinds of trouble for the people they openly support and then silently hate. And some of these people want multiculturalism to fail because they don't see any use in it.

Australians give lots of money to charities and to people of all colours all around the world, but is it because some see giving to those with less as helping out, or do they see these others as hopeless uncivilized people who are not intelligent enough to keep things going and feel sorry for them.Do some silent racist want the people they give charity to as apart of their everyday communities? I'll say that there is a good percentage of non racist who truly have no problem living with other races and cultures. Its just that the Slient racist are dangerous for multicultural/racial Societies because the cause destruction, crime and anti-social activity.
Posted by Amel, Monday, 15 January 2007 2:51:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Most people who toss about words like “racist” and “racism” invariable don’t understand what the words mean.

Racism is defined as 1.”the belief that human races have distinctive characteristics which determine their respective cultures, usu. (usually) involving the idea that one’s own race is superior and has a right to rule or dominate others. 2. offensive or aggressive behaviour to members of another race stemming from such a belief. 3. a policy or system of government and society based upon it.” (The Macquarie Dictionary, 1985 revision)

Before your question can be answered, Amel, respondents are entitled to know if you are referring to this basic definition – i.e. are you asking if Australians do, in fact, demonstrate the characteristics of racism as referred to above.

Or, like many people, do you use the words racist and racism merely to describe people whose views you don’t like?
Posted by Leigh, Monday, 15 January 2007 8:40:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It depends what you call racism! Its such a loosely used word today. I mean it’s the word of choice for any whining person who is not white and did not get what they want.

When you look at it from a global prospective Australia would be in the top 5% of least racist countries in the world! That’s because we are a majority white country who are civilized. While at the bottom would be the countries we accept refugee’s from because they are usually fleeing civil wars because they cant even get along with there fellow countrymen let alone foreigners. Which makes me wonder is it just a big mistake that we accepting large numbers of immigrants from these countries or very big mistake?

As we all know the biggest problem with basket case countries is that they have to many people with basket case mentalities and shipping people with this sort of attitude to Australia can only have a negative effect on this country.

I very much doubt that there are many people who are racist in the way the word is perceived e.g. racist want to gas all the jews shoot all the aboriginals and hang anyone else who is not white.

I think most if not all people are tribalistic towards their own ethnicity in the same way we are towards our family and friends.
Is it ok to give someone a job because they are a family member and over look someone else who isn’t? Yes
Is it ok to give someone a job because he is a mate of yours and over look someone else who is not? Yes
Is it ok to give someone a job because they are white/aussie and over look someone else who is not? No because that means you hate everyone who is not white are a memeber of the KKK and Nazi party.

What I am trying to say is that people will always look out for there own wheather they be family friend or countrymen and if that makes people racist well I guess we all are.
Posted by EasyTimes, Monday, 15 January 2007 8:45:03 PM
All people are racist in one form or another. When you look at the number of people wanting to immigrate to Australia one can only conclude that we are less racist than some other nations. Racism is probably one of the most overused words around today. The greatest racism I have witnessed among Australian born people has been black man against black man. The family feuds over women and territory goes on for generations. I am sure many will consider me a racist simply for this observation. Often in the town I live in the whites are racially abused. A great big deal is made out of it if a white man racially abuses a black man.
Posted by runner, Monday, 15 January 2007 10:00:00 PM
The term "Racism" is definitely overused. Genetics has shown us more than anything that "race" is a complete construct and doesn't mean anything at all in terms of ability, intelligence or wisdom. In general, I believe that most Australians don't like D*ckheads and don't mind saying so. D*ckheads in any group that are partially (or mostly) separated from the rest of society reflect badly on that group as a whole, it is a tribalism thing. The "multicultural" industry strives to separate groups from each other, to resist the melting pot. The ideal is that everyone would be an Australian, not a this-Australian or that-Australian. No White Australia, no Black Australia, just Australia.

So if ones of your mates is acting like a D*ckhead, you would tell him so right? But if someone of another race tells him hes a D*ckhead, then thats racism? How stupid is that?
Posted by Bugsy, Monday, 15 January 2007 10:54:55 PM
@Easytimes

Maybe its the loosely used word for people who are not white, and who are tired of racism.

Quote:

""When you look at it from a global prospective Australia would be in the top 5% of least racist countries in the world! That’s because we are a majority white country who are civilized. While at the bottom would be the countries we accept refugee’s from because they are usually fleeing civil wars because they cant even get along with there fellow countrymen let alone foreigners.""

Really? In the top 5% of least racist countries. As I said before I believe that theres a good percentage of Australians who are not racist like every where else in the world.But I still think theres a big percentage of silent racist. I could also get into Australia history and some majority white countries history,but thats another story.

I notice that you and some others think the word racist is over used.Is it because you don't care about racism because it doesn't really affect you?

Ofcourse all immigrants will not be good for a country just like some citizens,but if a country is willing to except immigrants to create a proper multicultural society then they would know that there are a few bad ones.

But when you set things up to fail it will, and so the people(some quietly) who want multiculturalism to fail can then say why did we get into this in the first place. 'We didn't want to give away are jobs but they force us to but we spoke out and now look'. When some deep down inside hate the idea of others because they see their ethnic group as superior. Most of the time it hardly has anything to do with looking out for ones family and friends or ethnic group. Some would never work and don't want to work at the jobs they talk about losing their just there to cause failures
Posted by Amel, Tuesday, 16 January 2007 2:18:23 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy