The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is spelling still important

Is spelling still important

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
The cuireir mial on sutarday ran and ad siyang our garde there stedutns are tirrelbe splllers.

But why is this such a huge problem?

After all, if you can understand what I just said, then what's the real problem.

Our young ones have a great way of communicating, according to them and they use only enough effort as required.

After all, prior to writting and spelling, which are simply forms of communication, people used to communicate with grunts, growns or clicking sounds.

Remember, the future leaders will come from GenY and younger, so, if they can communicate this way, who are we to say they are wrong.

Wrong in our eyes yes, but does that mean we are right?

Perhaps it's time to move on again and allow a new language to be formed hey!
Posted by rehctub, Sunday, 9 May 2010 10:27:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
rehctub
I can see what you are getting at, but the problem is if we let standards fall too far will we always be understood. Miscommunication and misunderstandings may lead to disastrous consequences when giving misspelt or unclear instructions.

What if I wrote to a man at work: "you are really impotent" when I meant 'important'. I guess if also misspelt 'really' as 'rarely' he may take it as a compliment.

Also if you are going to write something or do something there are good reasons as to why we should aim to do it well.
Posted by pelican, Sunday, 9 May 2010 10:57:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Probably doesn't make much difference to a great many.

I would suggest that you greatly desire your *doctor* to know the difference between ontogeny, ontology and oncology.

Fundamentalist preachers need not know at all.

Rusty.
Posted by Rusty Catheter, Sunday, 9 May 2010 11:06:08 PM
R theese inayn thredz thee eekwivalent off Kneerow fidling wile Roam berndt ore iz yt parte ov aye plott two dum uss awl dhownż
Posted by Proxy, Sunday, 9 May 2010 11:06:34 PM
You blokes mocking me?
It matters yes I know how bad I sometimes am, but it matters.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 10 May 2010 5:29:32 AM
Spelling is far more important than most people realise. Concise words can not be mistaken. I compare spelling to dialect of a proper language. Some can understand but many don't. Rehctub's spelling was no problem to understand but as a non-native-english speaking person you'd find it rather difficult. Language & writing are the crux of communication & the clearer it is the less confusion you have.
Posted by individual, Monday, 10 May 2010 6:19:17 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy