The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Organ Donation

Organ Donation

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Every year I do a bit about organ donation. Hello twenty ten!.

Since my post last year WA has opened up the discussion regarding my long held belief that organ donation should be 'opt-out', instead of the current 'opt-in' due to the recent 'front page' news of heroin addict Claire Murray receiving funds from the government coffers for a second liver transplant. Unfortunately her life decisions wound up costing her her life and her family a valued member.

Please be respectful.

Unfortunately for people who are in need of transplants that through no fault of their own have been placed in a position of hoping for a miracle, stories like Claire Murray set their cause back ... truth be told. The general consensus amongst ignorants that only come across topics like this are via stories like Claire Murray.

"I'll never donate if they're going to a junkie!" was one comment I saw. It breaks your heart when we're losing SO MANY through various non-self administered diseases.

This is why I HAVE to do my bit.

http://www.cysticfibrosis.com/remember.cfm

I weep myself dry there. Look at the ages. My partner has Cystic Fibrosis and has had a double lung transplant. Without the selfless act involving many through a death of one my partner WOULD also be dead. She was critical when the donor gifted. She's not cured, but we have some life to share for just a while.

The answer isn't just 'opt-out', it's also bureaucracy. Please fix it, so others can experience what I have with my partner.

Please be a donor.
Posted by StG, Thursday, 15 April 2010 7:44:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am a registered 'organ donor', however I certainly wouldn't want my organs going to some junkie either.

In fact, to take it further, I don't think the public system should pay for anyone, with any illness, resulting from 'self induced' actions.

When we have situations where 'junkies' have anywhere up to ten medical staff in attendance, at any one time, while at times we have people dying in waiting rooms, or, we are out of staff and or beds, you know there is a problem.

I think I might 're-think' my position, unless we can have more say in where our organs may end up.

Do you know if one can nominate for such an exclusion?
Posted by rehctub, Friday, 16 April 2010 7:00:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Generosity to that degree shouldn't come with caveats mate. Organ donation of one body doesn't just help one person; it can help many. Sure, you might end up donating to a drinker - enjoy one or two rectub? - or a smoker, or to someone who's lived on fatty foods and didn't listen to their doctor, or a junkie, but in the end you AT LEAST donate a life change to around 10 people. You could save the lives of half a dozen people.

The other thing that irks me about stories such as Claire Murray is that she was refused a second chance which is why she wound up overseas. The issue regarding her is with the funding she received. It has NOTHING to do with Transplant Australia nor being an organ donor.

Surely everyone deserves a first chance?. What say you, smokers, drinkers, and those that don't keep themselves healthy?....
Posted by StG, Friday, 16 April 2010 7:30:46 AM
StG,
Fully support you and I support the concept of opt-out in relation to organ donation.

My late wife was two years on home dyalisis, which was tough, then had a kidney transplant which lasted 17 years, untill she died from a breast cancer. The kidney transplant was the best thing and transformed her life from a near invalid to a real proper functioning person. So I am very aware of the benefits of transplants.

Of course I am a donor and when I go they can have whatever bits are usefull. I will forever be indebted to my wifes donor.
Posted by Banjo, Friday, 16 April 2010 1:38:24 PM
I am a registered organ donor. If, when I go to sci-fi heaven, any of my organs are of any use to anyone is fine by me.

I agree an 'opt-out' system would be the best for all concerned.
Posted by Severin, Friday, 16 April 2010 2:18:02 PM
As far as I'm concerned, after I'm dead my body will be nothing more than dead meat. If any bits are of potential use to anybody, they're welcome to them. How can it possibly matter to me, whether they're 'junkies', smokers, alcoholics or whatever?

I agree with idea of an 'opt-out' system for those who think otherwise.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Friday, 16 April 2010 2:31:23 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy