The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is Rudd a bad boss and worse hypocrite.

Is Rudd a bad boss and worse hypocrite.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All
We have spoken about your experience with that union before pelican.
I never claimed every union or every official is Worth while, frankly that would be a dreadful lie.
And no one not inside the movement can truly understand the difference between unions.
No pat myself on the back, I would not have let you down.
Right now I am facing TBC on one side saying leave it to members to fix, and your case hurts even more.
See I believe you.
Every word.
And a unionist hardest fight is to win back a member who feels/was betrayed.
A union official can be many things, the bantam rooster, he/she jumps on the lunch room table crows and gos, to be seen in a few years.
The clean shirt comes presses hands promises the world and has forgot your name as he/she gets out the door.
Me, look for the bloke sitting with them drinking coffee and chatting.
Soon the information comes and we leave as mates.
TBC if you insist in being unaware country road workers and such are rarely female, those who are swear more than me and are good value.
TBC has me not wanting to contribute to this thread reality calls.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 19 April 2010 5:42:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear oh dear Belly.... "I am facing TBC on one side saying leave it to members to fix"... is not what I said at all.

Help your members to get to a higher level of skills, so they can deal with far more than you seem to allow/encourage them to at the moment, back them up with genuine resources, and assist more directly when required... like in a job loss situation, for instance.

Sound advice to your members, to explain the situation to you truthfully, there is no other workable way.

The members I served were all country people, possibly over a far larger area than you, although I have no idea where you are based... but it was a staggering area, and not functionally possible, although I did every site once, and naturally, many far more frequently.

By working with the members in country towns, we created a loose network of delegates who kept in touch with each other, resolved issues by discussing problems in one place with a delegate in another, and together they formed a formidable force of clear thinking and direct action, even gaining a spot on the metro industry meeting via telephone conferences.

Most were either supporters of or members of the National Party too Belly... and many were still supporting (in theory at least) the DLP so not much chance of being 'extremist' with them old chap... but they responded to the view I offered that they were not just 'helpless workers' but, within the scheme of any workplace, in control of their own destiny...or they could be, if they took charge of it.
Posted by The Blue Cross, Monday, 19 April 2010 7:19:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
part 2

Still, each to their own but I'd start backing the 'educated-supported' union model. It allows a form of workplace freedom to develop, and allows union staff to be more imaginative on higher level planning... which should give members better returns in the longer term.

I once did a recruiting course with an AWU bloke who looked after shearers.

We all gave a quick run down of how we went about recruiting from scratch.

And some places were old style closed shop factories, but still delegates had a patter and a request to join up, rather than a blunt instrument that was resented ever after.

Not our chum from the AWU.

He sat and listened while 30 or so people described their actions.

Then it was time for the AWU.

"I just ask 'em for their ticket, and if they don't have one I tell 'em to roll their swag and f..k off".

Such finesse, so effective for the 'movement'.
Posted by The Blue Cross, Monday, 19 April 2010 7:20:04 PM
Severin,

I have never pretended to be a fan of Rudd, but in this instance, he is known for his abusive behaviour towards his staff. And other (multiple complaints by air force stewardesses)

http://www.knowfirst.info/forums/showthread.php?t=27839
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/opinion/kevin-rudds-outburst-was-an-abuse-of-power/story-e6frfhqf-1225777801835

The labor party is run as by a dictator, media briefs and other public communication is vetted by his office, he tolerates no dissent, and is explosively profane in his criticism.

The issue as mentioned before is that where is the line between high expectations and abuse. From what I read, Rudd has crossed that line.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Tuesday, 20 April 2010 2:38:05 PM
Shadow Minister echoes the talk from Rudd's time as the Goss factotum. He was simply hated, as Goss came to be too. Both were union haters, neither tolerated anything beyond 'my way or the highway'.

Good for issuing diktats, bad for democratic processes, fatal for 'the electorate', as can be seen with numerous Rudd 'initiatives' to date.

God alone (yes, not even the Godly Rudd actually knows what will happen) knows what level of farce the health situation will spiral into.

It could be better, that is still possible, but the odds are on it becoming even worse.

And then the Coalition will take over, privatise the whole shooting match (Rudd's next step anyway)and we will all be blessed with a US style of un-health.

ALP history will record Rudd as a 'strong leader' who took the nation nowhere but 'backwoods'.
Posted by The Blue Cross, Tuesday, 20 April 2010 3:55:33 PM
Thanks Belly I am sure you would have fought. I should add that the two union reps I dealt with were great people and very caring (it was a very upsetting time). It was not a case of them not believing, it came down to a legal interpretation and it was found later the department concerned provided evidence from the wrong agreement (to cover up the mistake from the actual AWA at the time).

Most of the complaint was not about workplace or IR matters that was only part of it - too long a story to go into here
Posted by pelican, Wednesday, 21 April 2010 10:38:44 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy