The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is Rudd a bad boss and worse hypocrite.

Is Rudd a bad boss and worse hypocrite.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Rudd has done away with unfair work conditions for everyone but his own staff.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/pms-office-turnover-rudd-says-his-staff-work-dog-years-20100415-sf0p.html?autostart=1

Rudd and Gillard continually blast the liberals on work choices, but their staff work 100+ hour weeks on a notional 38hr contract. While standard working hours are not normal for political staff, this would appear to be the worst abuse of staff on record.

Do as I say, not as I do.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Thursday, 15 April 2010 4:26:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Shadow Minister,

You're talking about the staff of the
Prime Minister of Australia and his Deputy - right?
I imagine that these people were told what was
expected of them in their job interviews. Theirs
are not the run-of-the-mill
9-5 type of jobs. I'm sure that their salaries would
also reflect this, as well as other perks
that go with these high-profile positions.

I'm sure that there would be many young people who'd
be lining up for the chance to work for the PM and his
Deputy. Some people might even consider it an honour
and a privilege.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 15 April 2010 11:24:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Quite right,Foxy.

I hope that none of our elected representatives only work standard office hours and I wouldn't expect that support staff would be on a "standard 38 hour" arrangement.

This is just a rehash of an old story from last year but they don't mention that between February and October last year 11 media advisers working for 32 Opposition members quit their jobs too.
Posted by wobbles, Friday, 16 April 2010 12:24:23 AM
In a country that charges our politicians will doing nothing.
Being lazy, useless, unproductive, the opposition entrenched in a no policy's zone, just say no to every thing.
Complain about anything, cry real wet check stuff.
This is evidence why Rudd will remain Prime Minister.
And why he must call a DD election and will.
To find evidence in working himself too hard, and his public service too hard ,that he is unfit to govern shows a lost opposition.
Look just how far from truth honesty and wasp work ethic Abbott and his team wander to insult voters ability to think and see.
Understand, put your self in the incoming governments shoes, Liberals along with the living but near death nationals, have used the senate as more of a barrier to good government than anyone from the blocking of suplie till now.
No party with the opportunity would face the electorate without the chance to remove at least one senator the child like family first fool.
Look past the foolishness of those who let total dislike of Rudd/Labor blind them.
Where Are the conservative counter policy's,is it their intention to lengthen lunch breaks and install banana chairs in the forecourt for their public servants.
Do I and a million others need to stop 2 to 4 unexpected hours worked for free each day because it is a sin?
Are you sure you aren't Wilson Tucky SM?
Posted by Belly, Friday, 16 April 2010 5:39:10 AM
Has anyone else posting here actually worked a 100hr week for an extended period? I would bet that all the labor supporters here don't have a clue.

I worked as an ex pat constructing and commissioning a large plant for 6 months working 90+ hours per week. In the time I dropped to 63kg (considering I am 6ft that was a lot), two colleagues died in car accidents going home, and our social / home life was zero.

My rational for doing it was that I earned a pile of money, that was mostly tax free in those days, and was able to buy a house almost debt free. Even though I notionally knew what I was getting into, the reality was very different, and there is no way I would put myself in that situation for an extended period again.

As OH&S now considers the travel to and from work to be under its ambit, and is looking to general health of employees, this soon actually might be illegal.

The final point about those sort of working conditions, other than being physically harmful to employees, it is also counter productive. It is well known in industry, that after 50hrs/wk that productivity starts to drop off, and at 70+ hrs/wk decision making becomes questionable. This is probably the root of why there are so many stuff ups.

Hiring a few extra people is both better for the employer and employee. The long hours that Rudd demands is not producing any more, it is just to show "how hard we are working".

In reality, what counts is not how hard Rudd works, but what he achieves, and on that score, he could have been playing golf for the past 2 years.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Friday, 16 April 2010 8:19:45 AM
Dear Shadow Minister,

My husband is self employed (architect) and yes he
works the hours it takes to get the job done, and
then some. I've always done the same as a librarian.
Doing whatever was necessary to complete the job.
Whether it was at the Parliamentary Library for MPs,
or a University Library for faculty members, or
a Special Library (CSIRO) for scientists or a School
Library for teachers, or now at a large Regional Library,
running the necessary programs for the public.
If you want to keep your job you do whatever it takes,
and try to pace yourself so that you don't burn out.
However I wouldn't change a thing - and love what I do.
As does my husband.

Parliamentary staff as you must know
are on rather limited tenure.
Usually 3 years - so they don't have long-term careers.
The staff tends to change frequently as the parliamentarians
come and go.

You concern for them is commendable, however, it's really
unwarranted. It's their choice - and they can always leave.
You don't study medicine unless you're prepared to put
in the hours. There are plenty of 9 to 5 jobs available.
Working for the Prime Minister and his Deputy however, isn't
one of them, and you're well aware of that when you sign up.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 16 April 2010 9:43:38 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy