The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Restrict Tradung Hours For Licenced Premises?

Restrict Tradung Hours For Licenced Premises?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
On tonights TV news there was a segment where rank and file Police, ambulance officers and hospital staff are calling for more restrictions on the opening hours for pubs, clubs and other licenced premises.

The object is to reduce the ammount of street violence that occurs in our cities late at night and early mornings.

I was intrigued that one reason that some put in opposing this is that many will be out of work. The NSW Premier said we would become a 'wowser' state.

Hell, we survived for many years with general 10pm closing for most pubs and around 12-1am for other premises. So why can we not revert to that again. I enjoy a drink as much as anyone, but do we really need 24 hours to get a few drinks.

It seems to me that many young people are not mature enough to handle the almost unfettered drinking hours they now enjoy. Our emergency workers are not punching bags for the out of control young.

The cost of having police, ambulance and emergency staff at hospitals is escalating and something needs to be done.

There is no suggestion that we become 'wowsers', which is an exageration by the premier. The now liberal licencing laws have caused more trouble than they are worth.

I would like opinions please. Oh, and reasons if possible.
Posted by Banjo, Tuesday, 30 March 2010 8:01:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's not a particularly easy decision.

>>Hell, we survived for many years with general 10pm closing for most pubs and around 12-1am for other premises. So why can we not revert to that again.<<

We also "survived" the pubs closing at 6p.m., as I recall.

What I remember most of the "six o'clock swill" was that all the pubs in the city had tiles on the walls, up to head height, to make it easier for the staff to hose down the puke.

Not a pretty sight.

A "better" solution these days, rather than prescribing a "one-size-fits-all" remedy, might be to make the venues themselves more responsible for the state of their patrons.

Perhaps this could be achieved by making it easier for the local court to close them down for a period. If you know that you might have to close down tomorrow for - say - a month, you might find innovative ways to manage your patrons.

After all, your customers would have an interest in keeping you open, too.
Posted by Pericles, Wednesday, 31 March 2010 10:29:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A beer on a hot day? Yep, sure. A beer or two is great as a thirst quencher. I feel sorry for the majority of Australians who need an alcohol fuelled "high" to be happy.
Just a bit of atmosphere and good company influences my happiness rating.
Posted by phoenix94, Wednesday, 31 March 2010 12:10:02 PM
Yeah, Pericles first cab off the rank - boom TISH - and being spot on is a practical 'double tap' to the back of the head of this topic.

I've stood out the front of a couple of pubs as an employee watching the consequence of lack of self control + piss + arrogance + mental disorders + poon tang (or the lack thereof) + a healthy wallet + oxygen and its effect on mankind. Ain't a pretty sight and no amount of restricting hours, excluding MAYBE 11pm or midnight close, would end in the positive.

You might have to consider a rise in unemployment again because of less hours in the hospitality industry as a result as well.
Posted by StG, Wednesday, 31 March 2010 4:07:33 PM
Banjo answer to first bit is maybe, well yes in most cases.
It is a problem so here is may view as to why.
The drunks are not always just drunks.
The young leave half finished drinks and start new ones, hiding some it pot plants and just about every place.
Those type drink to be part of the crowd, may binge drink even if they do not like it.
And more trouble comes from this group when drunk than most.
Newcastle, the birth place of this idea needed the intervention.
Just as those younger drunks wanted to be seen drinking, some thugs wanted to be seen fighting.
I support the emergency services on this, in the end few of us have to carry the load at work they do.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 31 March 2010 4:50:33 PM
I think another important option to consider is the opening/closing times of other venues. If more shops, restaurants and other recreational places remained open for longer you might keep some people out of the bars, making smaller groups of people that are easier to manage, as opposed to everyone who doesn't feel like staying home being compressed into the pubs and nightclubs.

And more importantly- it means we don't have to squeeze in our shopping during work hours or peak hour- especially now that more members per family work these days.
Posted by King Hazza, Wednesday, 31 March 2010 6:21:51 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy