The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Melissa Batten's candidacy: a very astute move?

Melissa Batten's candidacy: a very astute move?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Hi Forrest

"The thing is, it would appear that the whole point and impact of Melissa's candidacy will evaporate if Belinda Neal is dumped from pre-selection today."

I tend to agree. If Melissa is going to ride on the coat tails of Belinda Neal's diminishing reputation, and those coat tails are pulled out from under, it will deflate her campaign.

Ultimately people will vote for what Melissa stands for and it is clear she, at least appears, to be for greater honesty in politics given her inner turmoil over the Iguana incident but that does not necessarily make her suitable to represent an electorate.

She may stand a chance with disgruntled ALP voters who are disappointed and/or confused about the ETS, insulation and the green loans programs. Particularly those who feel they could never vote Liberal. As well of course, Belinda Neal's growing unpopularity.

Any potential split in a Labor vote will of course be favourable for the Coalition.
Posted by pelican, Saturday, 6 March 2010 10:36:58 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
pelican observes:

"... but that does not necessarily make [Melissa
Batten] suitable to represent an electorate."

Perhaps, but I reckon the ultimate definition of suitability to represent an electorate is that of meeting the qualifications required under the Commonwealth Electoral Act to be a candidate, nominating, and then subsequently, after the holding of elections, being declared elected. Such was Belinda Neal's situation after the 2007 Federal elections. Then, in 2008, at Iguana Joe's, she blew it.

With all due respect to Deborah O'Neill, she is both a two-time loser as a candidate at previous State elections covering part of the area of the Federal Division of Robertson, and is, to all accounts, seen to be the recipient of the poisoned chalice of Sussex St (NSW ALP State Executive) tacit support in her pre-selection challenge. I suggest that it is by no means certain that, as a non-sitting-member endorsed candidate, she is likely to be elected at the upcoming elections, whether or not Melissa Batten was to be an independent candidate

Of the three choices between the incumbent, a two-time loser having the security of academic tenure and already effectively on the public payroll, and a young mother who lost the electorate office job she had aspired to after only a few weeks because she would not lie for her boss, which would you think to be more REPRESENTATIVE of the life experience of voters, irrespective of their political loyalties, likely to be encountered on the NSW Central Coast?

Its a no-brainer, isn't it! Its that of the young mother who lost her job! There would be a certain poetic justice meted out if the voters elected her to fill the position of the former boss she had been presumptuously expected to bend the truth to protect, wouldn't there?

The other choices have long each been self-recommended aspirants to political office. Of the political elite, if you will. The safe choice would be one that never sought, nor was ever offerred, endorsement.

Melissa would be a breath of fresh air.
Posted by Forrest Gumpp, Saturday, 6 March 2010 12:22:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It comes down to how appropriate bullying and intimidation are as part of the culture, and how truthful Melissa's claims are. Personally speaking, I wouldn't support a bully. And if I shared Belly's interest in the NSW ALP, I would be interested in how the executive responds to such behaviour as it would give me an indication of the nature of the party hierarchy.
Posted by Fester, Saturday, 6 March 2010 12:34:27 PM
Dear Forrest,

Not sure about this one.

In one corner we've got one tough, experienced
pollie - Belinda Neal.

In the other - we've got someone who took off
when the going got tough - Melissa Batten.
What has she to offer politically? Will she
have the capability to withstand the pressure
she'll be under in Parliament?
Who put her up to running for office this time
around and why?

Belinda Neal may not be popular in her electorate -
but do we know for certain if she's going to be
the running candidate of the ALP?

I guess we'll have to wait and see how this all
pans out.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 6 March 2010 2:00:02 PM
I have to agree with Pelican. The mere fact that someone won't lie for their boss is no qualification for a suitable candidate.

Much more than being hohourable, & truthful is required to be a good MP, although it is required in all, if they are to be a good member.

This should, but unfortunately does not, eliminate most members of the legal profession from the list. That it doesn't should perhaps gives us an idea of what to expect from most pollies
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 6 March 2010 2:02:03 PM
This is the URL for a Google search I made using the terms 'Robertson pre-selection' of pages from Australia only:
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=Robertson+pre-selection&meta=cr%3DcountryAU&btnG=Google+Search

The second web page listed on the first page of that search result is titled 'Belinda Neal in face-to-face battle with rival for Robertson pre[-selection]'. See: http://express-advocate-wyong.whereilive.com.au/news/story/belinda-neal-in-face-to-face-battle-with-rival-for-robertson-pre-selection/

The Express Advocate is a bi-weekly newspaper circulating on the Central Coast. It has two editions that can have different content to each other: a northern edition for the Wyong area, co-located with much of the Federal Division of Dobell, and a southern edition for the Gosford area, co-located with much of the Federal Division of Robertson. The report in question is dated 9 February 2010.

What is interesting is that this report was, as far as I can determine, only published in the Wyong edition of the Express Advocate, out of area for those to whom the report may have been of topical interest in the Robertson electorate. The actual quotes reported seem a little garbled as they stand, and I would not be surprised if they have been mis-attributed as between the respective Ms' Neal and O'Neill being reported. Be that as it may, the fact that the Express Advocate carried such a then-topical story only in its northern, out-of-area, edition makes me ask whether the Express Advocate was then actively supporting Belinda Neal against any other contender, or was alternatively afraid to publish such an article in the Robertson area lest it offend Ms Neal.

Its hardly what I would call even-handed, let alone courageous, journalism.

Draw your own conclusions as to what motivated such an editorial decision. If it was fear, it might shed some light on claims as to threats allegedly made at the time of the 'Iguanagate' affair.

Couldn't really be fear, could it? Surely not.
Posted by Forrest Gumpp, Saturday, 6 March 2010 2:39:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy