The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Wanting the preserve and teach the Aboriginal language- what do you think?

Wanting the preserve and teach the Aboriginal language- what do you think?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Examinator,

While there may be SOME relevance for indigenous children to learn where they are from together with a little of their language, I still fail to see how pupils that have no connection with aboriginal Australia must learn something that they will NEVER use.

Examinator - Learning the period table is of considerable relevance - perhaps you pursued a humanities-based career and never had a need to use it. But don't you think it is better we forego teaching something that in all likelyhood will NEVER be used? (in contradistinction to something that MIGHT not be used)

It is unfair that we put our children behind the eight ball by taking up valuable class time in this respect. If they wish to learn it, fine, but don't impose upon them something that is not relevant in our society.
Posted by Nina, Saturday, 27 February 2010 7:47:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A language should be taught by the parents. It is none other than the parents or guardians who should ensure that children in their care learn the basics of the language they'll need to communicate effectively throughout life. If some children are in a situation where another language or dialect is in everyday use than it is up to the people in their circles to ensure the language survives. In Australia English is the common language & that is the language which must be taught in the schools by competent teachers. An indigenous language can only be taught by indigenous families just like the many migrant families do.
Posted by individual, Saturday, 27 February 2010 8:03:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Nina,

Many subjects are taught that we may never use -
but they teach us how to think, broaden our outlook,
and generally enrich our lives. Through languages you
get to discover many inner worlds. And you're right
when you say - Aboriginal languages have no relevance
in our society - that has been the reason sadly that
many were tragically lost. The last living Aboriginal
languages should be part of our lives.

Read the website I cited earlier - Professor Eva Sallis
explains it so much better than I can.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 28 February 2010 10:29:57 AM
Cornflower; Have you taken up the option or are you recommending it for the long-suffering school children?

No I have not, although their culture (as it was) facinates me.

Banyo; It is appalling to hear some of the kids speak today.

In your eyes, yes, however, although I don't agree with it, this in my view is a simplification of our langauge and, they all know the talk.

If you take some time and study what they use, especially 'text talk' it really is a simple, non-complicated language.

Words like 'CU' is an example of this. Much easier than 'see you', don't you think.

BTW, another example, or LOL.

And by the way, this is an idea put forward by the educators, not my idea.

Now as for 'spelling', well I have always thought spelling is over rated!
Posted by rehctub, Sunday, 28 February 2010 5:44:50 PM
Nina,
Firstly you appear to be thinking a little too narrowly.
It has been shown in a number of studies that, learning languages increases brain potential.

I was specifically referring to indigenous children in largely indigenous schools.

Next, I was not suggesting as a major topic as in Science, English and Maths. maybe 2 periods a week.
i.e. My children learned French, German, Polish (because the school board were poles, bugger the rest) and Chinese (all mandatory and in different schools, different states). I have 4 children who have traveled widely Australia, Internationally, 3 are in the science careers. Which of the above do you think was useful as a language?

All 4 claim, as I do, that the languages/cultures prepared them for travel i.e. to think laterally/out of the box, take differences in their stride, and be more reasoned when dealing with others.

One was able to sort out an issue at a drilling site, in the real outback, with local indigenous people. While he didn't knowing a word of their language but unlike all the others, on the site he was relaxed and was able to decipher the problem. He then able to get the rig management to resolve the issue. He puts it down to understanding/accepting different cultures. The problem, their portable living quarters was too close to a sacred cave....100 meter change and all were happy.

Ok, my other son, sat in a bar in Seattle and scared off potential tourists with his wild tails about drop bears, Koalas infected with clamidia and the scourge of the bush, venomous blue ringed possums.
He told them, that where you get bitten turns blue and dies...hence True Blue Aussie and Koala blue! (takes after his mother I recon)

NB I am involve in a Science based career but the periodic table is still irrelevant to me and MOST people's lives.

That should be taught when the child wants to go that way.

My point is the language/culture is relatively unimportant but the open mind they bring is.

So for white children in Australia why not Indigenous cultures?
Posted by examinator, Sunday, 28 February 2010 7:04:17 PM
Thinking outside the box and lateral thinking were points I intended stating last night too Examinator. Most people who have learned other languages would acknowledge the points you raised.

A terrific concept would be for children to be given a book on the aboriginal language, sent home with it as part of a year long english [subject] assignment in years 5 and 6, learn and discuss with parents to increase reading skills, improve their writing skills, assist learning skills, and all of the above you outlined.

Fantastic for non-aboriginal parents who wish to learn about the aboriginal culture, fishing tips and advice, expand their culinary side, water solutions, environment sustainability et all.
Posted by we are unique, Sunday, 28 February 2010 11:33:40 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy