The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Should people in public office be financially accountable

Should people in public office be financially accountable

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Perhaps it's about time those in public office were made to take out, 'and pay for' professional indemnity insurance, so the likes of the recent mess with insulation, or the failed dam project, doesn't continue to cost the tax payer a fortune to fix while the perpetrators walk away 'Scott free'.

Accountants have it, doctors and lawyers as well.

So why not the people who make monumental, often 'life changing' decisions while in public office.

What do you think?
Posted by rehctub, Saturday, 20 February 2010 5:57:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
That would be one of the more laudable Ideas that has been presented for a long time; I often theorise if that if Individual people are held responsible for their actions that cause catastrophic repercussions in the future; And only when they are held accountable, you will then see a massive shift in responsibility to act in accordance to the PUBLIC Good and betterment ; instead of half cocked idiots and brainless Idealism fit for some sort of demented psychopath , that ought to be locked away for future study ; But we actually call them these days Politicians and Public Servants ; How Orwellian is that?

I can imagine that over a thirty year period; if we were to claw back all the wealth distributed to the Useless idiot Elitist sphere; It would probably equal as much as the welfare bill in this country; Considering the calibre of idiot we have had that is alleged to be representative and or Public Servants;

It should be made retrospective to the point where it was they had taken positions in public office;

just in an attempt for Reparations and recovery for the irreparable damage and the cataclysmic effect on a once prosperous and law abiding nation-

These People at some point in time would have been guilty of Treason and perhaps on a scale that has never been witnessed in recorded human times ;

It is now called politics- Hold them to account 100 percent.
Posted by All-, Sunday, 21 February 2010 4:54:39 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is already possible to sue Government. The government does hold some types of insurance and in some cases self-insures.

Individual insurance would not serve any purpose because public servants act on orders from Minister's offices or very senior bureacrats at the behest of Ministers.

Innovation may be stifled if the more creative thinkers become reticent to share good ideas that would help society. People forget that not all public servants are bureacrats (per se) some are fire officers, police officers, road sweepers, social workers etc.

The problem with insulation was too much money out there and too many greedy-eyed rorters cashing in without proper monitoring processes. This government is not good at ensuring there are enough people in place to do work at the ground level - they are too top heavy.

There should be more accountability and honesty that is for sure.

One idea that would keep the public servants honest would be for other public servants who are concered about certain issues/events to be able to put forward questions in Senate Estimates. Panels on Estimates committees do not not know the right questions to ask.

Another would be to make it easier for public servants to blow the whistle about corruption, fraud, maladministration. At the moment, despite a Committee Inquiry, public servants are still warned about "protecting the reputation of their departments" and breaching codes of conduct. Only the highly courageous would go to the media or to a non-government member of parliament.

In today's Canberra Times there is an article by Paul Daley (page 21) that reads Garrett was acting on instructions from the department of Prime Minister and Cabinet. However, Garret as the Minister of the responsible department will take the fall, even though his department was ill-equipped to handle the scheme (according to article). The trouble is that if you are going to hand out money on schemes you have to budget for monitoring, policing standards and the like. It is very difficult to do this properly in any case, but without enough resources it is impossible.
Posted by pelican, Sunday, 21 February 2010 8:09:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Fully agree Rehctub- I would also suggest penalties to guarantee inability to get around their penalty through the taxpayer by having them pay their money back through a period of time of denial of perks and allowances, and better yet, their politician's pension canceled forthwith- which should also be applicable if they commit a crime after politics (it would save taxpayers a LOT of money having corrupt politicians getting their snouts out of the trough- especially if they're yesterday's hasbeens).
Posted by King Hazza, Sunday, 21 February 2010 1:06:20 PM
from my experience the present state of misappropriation in the public sector is still below the cost of jailing the bureaucrats, there are just too many but the gap is closing. FYI, I lost my employment because I drew attention to misappropriation in Qld Health. The Ombudsman, Public Service Commission, CJC, CMC & the AWU all splendidly failed to stand up in favour of the code of conduct. Integrity is a dirty word in the public service. You'll climb the ladder a lot faster if you lack integrity.
It's just about impossible to impose accountability because the rot is at the top.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 21 February 2010 7:00:48 PM
Hi
Perhaps I can make a cynical comment.
I was in the Public Service for a few years, coming from private enterprise.
I found it frustrating to get decisions.
So who will you sue?
The workers or executive?
Most at staff and executive level have Masters Degrees in the lack of “Decision Making”, hence it would be difficult to lay the blame where it should be. Figure heads will be used as scapegoats but they are not necessarily the ones to be sued, although if it was done over a period of time they may not find anyone to use as a figure head and there would be better accountability.
The first rule of a department is to protect the Minister and department before the public. Failing this then let the Minister go. You can expect this to happen to Peter Garrett.
In my case I went out and resolve the problem and informed the department that the matter had been resolved to the satisfaction of all parties. This fitted in with the culture as no one was being forced to make a decision and as everyone had come to an agreement it was no longer the department’s problem.
Posted by professor-au, Monday, 22 February 2010 10:55:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy