The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Christianity and evolution

Christianity and evolution

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 25
  8. 26
  9. 27
  10. All
One of the things that interests me is the frequent assertion by some critics of Christianity that it is anti-science. It may be true of some of the smaller denominations, and some sects. It may also be true of some believers. But it is not true of the major denominations, nor of most theologians.

When I came across this link http://www.butler.edu/clergyproject/rel_evolution_weekend_2009.htm about Evolution Weekend I thought it might provoke some better and more informed debate.

Evolution is a core belief of Catholicism, the largest Christian denomination. Anglicans (my brand) accept it, as do Uniting Church. Not sure about the Orthodox churches.

I see that our Christian-in-Chief, the Prime Minister, accepts it, but with an intelligent design gloss that could be worth discussing. Because if you don't have an intelligent design gloss (which I don't) where does that leave God? Does he just light the fuse and walk away - a prime mover, and not much more, with fewer gaps to fill? Or do we need a different concept of God?

Can God be in some senses a science project where hypotheses of what he/she might be are used to construct a better understanding? If this is the case, where does that leave the common protestant stress on the inerrancy of the bible as the received word of God?
Posted by GrahamY, Thursday, 11 February 2010 9:39:19 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's ironic to me how Atheists are more than comfortable in describing what I believe based on preconceived misconceptions.

Because I'm a Christian they will tell you how I'm anti-abortion, anti-science and evolution, about how I think Church and State shouldn't be separated, about how I'm intolerant of Atheism, about how I'm anti-gay marriage and them having children, when funnily enough I'm exactly the opposite.
Posted by StG, Thursday, 11 February 2010 9:54:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
STG,

It is good to see that there are christians able to make rational judgements about science and society.

I was beginning to think that a lobotomy was a pre requisite for christian advocacy.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Thursday, 11 February 2010 11:08:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Was thinking the same about Atheism.
Posted by StG, Thursday, 11 February 2010 11:31:19 AM
These are interesting questions Graham.

My first experience with this notion that some Christians believe that evolution is part God's grand design came from my Anglican neighbours.

It was the first time I realised that some Christians accept the science of evolution. And stories such as that of Adam and Eve serve, in their mind, as symbols rather than literal. Those writings came from a more primitive time but are still revered to being the word of God. Where does that leave the stories of Moses bringing down the tablets from the Mount?

Can one truly be seen as a Christian as defined by the stalwarts if they embrace the concept of evolution?

If Christians take that step of questioning old notions of Adam and Eve to accept the theory of evolution, why does that not also open a window to other questions about the integrity of the written word and the existence of God?

Some Catholic Priests have come out in the past admitting they did not believe in God (as we understand him), only that the world is a better place with (the concept of) God in it; and the setting of a moral framework, even if sometimes that framework can be distorted to its most ugliest as well as it's most beautiful.

It would seem that the discussion boils down to whether one believs a moral framework or agreed set of human values can serve the same purposes through means other than religion.
Posted by pelican, Thursday, 11 February 2010 5:20:36 PM
Dear Graham,

I found an interesting explanation in the
World Book Encylopedia, under the heading,
"Evolution and Religion." And I quote:

" Judaism, Christianity, and a number of other
religions teach that God is the sole guiding force
in the universe. According to the Bible, God is
the Creator, Sustainer, and Ultimate End of all
things. The wide variety of forms of life is
interpreted as a reflection of His love and
inspiration. The Bible also states that human beings
were created in the image of God and therefore were
elevated above all other forms of life.

Some people find it difficult to reconcile these
views with the concept that life on earth has evolved
through natural processes. These people feel that the
evolutionary theory conflicts with the Bible's teachings
regarding the reality of sin and of redemption from sin.
They believe that sin tends to become mere imperfection if
humans are seen to be in the process of evolving from
a lower state, and therefore the Gospel of redemption
from the guilt of sin tends to lose meaning.

However, many people accept the basic principles of
evolution within the framework of their religious beliefs.
Biblical scholars tend to interpret the story of the
Creation as a symbolic, rather than literal, account of
of the origin of human beings and other living things.
They don't find this symbolic interpretation incompatible
with the findings of evolutionary biologists. "

Religion, like art, is very subjective. Many people
don't accept the theory of evolution because they feel it
conflicts with their religious beliefs. However, when
all's said and done - I feel that the idea that
human beings evolved
from lower forms of life - shouldn't diminish the uniqueness
of human capabilities and the accomplishments of human
civilisations.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 11 February 2010 6:38:44 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 25
  8. 26
  9. 27
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy