The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Racial violence in Melbourne? or just plain violence?

Racial violence in Melbourne? or just plain violence?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Each morning our papers tell of another attack on Indian students. Though i believe much of the problem is simply more violence per se. I don't deny racial undertones across our society as a whole but living and working late at night in Melbourne's CBD i have to walk home through the city or try to get a cab around 2:30 am and from what i see it is mindless violence projected on ANYONE, regardless of skin colour. It actually seems quite racial of our media to only focus on violence against certain ethnic groups.
I have been bashed in the city on my way home from work for no apparent reason. without even making eye contact with those who hit me off my bike and surrounded me kicking and punching me until i was able to escape. I have seen people being bashed, and i have learnt to get the hell out of the CBD as fast as possible and to ignore the taunts and provocations (which happen almost 100% of the time, from car windows, street corners etc).
It is disgusting and shameful. The 2am lockouts made it worse, liquor licensing is favoring large, generic fight club, drinking centered night clubs.

I'm 32 and 4th generation Australian of Irish french, Scandinavian background. And i'm disgusted with my city's behavior.”
Posted by aurum_philosophorum, Tuesday, 26 January 2010 1:38:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Violence happens against everyone from every ancestral background. I'd be interested to know if Indians are disproportionately featured in crimes stats. I doubt it.
Posted by StG, Tuesday, 26 January 2010 3:35:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Here's a paper I found that sorta backs up my thoughts on it.

http://proceedings.com.au/isana2009/PDF/paper_Spolc.pdf
Posted by StG, Tuesday, 26 January 2010 3:47:15 PM
Dear AP,

According to one website there have
been 100 reported cases of attacks
on Indians (mostly students) in
Melbourne in 2009, as against 17
in 2008.

This has resulted in the Victorian
Premier announcing the appointment
of Australia's first "Minister for
Respect," (I'm not kidding). Former
football player - Justin Madden
has been appointed to the job. The
Victorian Premier said this was part
of a "broader response to the scourge
of alcohol fuelled violence and
vandalism." The Premier claims that
the new Minister will be an additional
voice in the community promoting diversity
and racial tolerance, including providing
educational and Law and Order approaches.

It all sounds like PC gone a bit mad.
However - as I've stated on another thread -
it may appease the Indian newspapers and media.

Will it make Victoria a safer place?
I doubt it.

More and - better trained police might help.
As might a review of the licensing laws
and hours of opening of clubs, hotels,
and so on, and more severe penalties for
loutish, drunken behaviour.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 26 January 2010 6:00:14 PM
I am truly surprised any one could ask the question.
You can bet some of it is racist some just violence and some who carry out the crimes are idiots.
Yes Indians are targeted not every time, some attacks have been Indian on Indian.
Some Lebanese vs Indians, more religion than racist.
But some thugs would think targeting others is a worth while thing, and that racism is linked to knuckle dragger's, fools with nothing better to do.
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 26 January 2010 7:18:15 PM
with a 15Billion dollar a year international education factory here it really seems we need to invest some of these profits into Domestic education at pre, primary and high school levels. I don't remember being taught ethics, morality or respect and interest in our neighbors fascinating and highly respectable cultures. Sure they had a religion class every now and then that was as fantastical as a fairy tail to me plus they taught us Indonesian (language) purely to prepare us for the great economic trade potential we thought we were going to have.

Violence against ANYONE is wrong. whether it be Indian v's Indian or Lebanese v's Australian. What is the problem is that someone or groups of individuals would actually want to hit someone until they are unconscious and then continue hitting them or stab them and walk away laughing or believing they have done someone proud. It's unfathomable.

Ha. Justin Madden as Minister For Respect
That is a good one. I'm not sure about Madden's past but by golly, professional football players are not the role models my children will be encouraged to look up to.

What about Ben Cousins for Minister of responsible drinking and recreational drug abuse
Posted by aurum_philosophorum, Tuesday, 26 January 2010 8:23:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy