The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Disincentives to come to Queensland

Disincentives to come to Queensland

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Speaking of little boxes, the last time I was in Townsville was a couple of years back, on the occasion of a family funeral. As I drove through Cluden, I was struck by the sight of a brand new suburb where cows and horses used to graze only a few years back.

I recall that a song came into my head - an old one by Pete Seeger, about little boxes made of ticky-tacky - that I remember from my childhood. This thread caused me to recall it again, and to sniff it out on the web to hear it again properly.

I found this delightful little vid on YouTube. Still so true after about 50 years, only the boxes have got bigger.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONEYGU_7EqU
Posted by CJ Morgan, Wednesday, 9 December 2009 11:11:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have a friend from Innisfail who assures me that, every time there is a cyclone there, property prices skyrocket. People from all over the place see the town on the news, think 'wow, that's a nice little town' and pick it as their seachange destination. I can picture it now - the next big cyclone to hit Townsville will have reporters on the Strand, on top of Castle Hill or anywhere with Maggie Island in the backdrop. People will say 'oh, poor Townsville. But isn't it pretty?' and our already overpriced boxy suburbs will double in price and continue the ridiculous march north and west . . .

But that's enough negativity for one night!
Posted by Otokonoko, Wednesday, 9 December 2009 11:44:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What a sweet little rendition that is CJ.

But I like this version better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcMQrVCd8dQ&feature=related

Turn up the volume!
Posted by Ludwig, Monday, 14 December 2009 9:54:35 AM
Heh. Just goes to show what a couple of generations of living in little boxes made of ticky-tacky will do for you!
Posted by CJ Morgan, Monday, 14 December 2009 11:54:13 AM
Interesting, Oto. A cyclone could actually raise property values and increase population growth. Wow!

You just might be right. The suburbs in the storm-surge areas will have their property values skittled, but yes the urban sprawl extending inland and northwards might just accelerate.

Oh well, I still say; bring on a decent cyclone.

Not a huge one that rips rooves off of houses, but a big enough one to bring Townsville into the national spotlight and raise peoples’ interest and hence property values.

Then I can sell up and get the hell out of here after 26 years and move up on the Atherton Tablelands and retire!!
Posted by Ludwig, Monday, 14 December 2009 10:33:05 PM
Disincentives to come to Queensland? Despite that everything here tries to eat, sting, or bite you, nothing. smile. but to over populate it, would be a shame or any part of this drying continent. OK! lets say half of Melbourne and Sydney's people moved here tomorrow, do you QLD's have the patients to understand the culture difference's? and we know the Cronulla incident don't we. I'd say you'd just love some of my old neighbours, The 50 cents crew. lol. Better keep the people just where they are, trust me. Smile. Unless you would like a civil war. just joking. Population control for all Australians for this dring future, is the only smart move to make-shut the gates. Now! on a more practical sense, Natural disasters are great money makers in anyone's language, and since cyclones and other increasing weather phenomenon are obvious, I'd be think bricks. You do remember the story of the three little pigs. In reality, QLD is becoming more attractive than ever, but be warned! You need to be made of tough stuff.
Posted by walk with me, Tuesday, 15 December 2009 12:36:24 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy