The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Here we go again?

Here we go again?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
*As of November 10, only 138,000 of the original 294,000 remained in the camps. A big challenge is to ensure they have houses to which they can return. The removal of about 1.5 million mines from an estimated 403sq km of land is continuing.*

*http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/opinion/pull-factors-are-a-potent-drawcard/story-e6frg6zo-1225797533168*

The way it works Horus, is a bit like this: We have a cosy little
group of the emotionally overwhelmed on OLO.

A poster like Bronnie, will seek out opionions which comply with
her extreme left agenda, then claim it as gospel, ignoring all
other evidence, such as the above.

Our cosy little group then all pat each other on the proverbial
back in reassurance, for if they agree, then it must be true!

So they all feel better, rewarded by neural feelgood chemicals,
as they all sing Kumbaya together :)

Tomorrow they most likely will all be back for another dose of
feelgood chemistry. Meantime reality is best ignored, so we
close our eyes and pretend that it does not exist. Quite simple really!
Posted by Yabby, Sunday, 15 November 2009 1:34:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Horus

<< Your talk of “our fair share” or “small percentages” is just a sugar coating you apply to make your case more palatable.I see you’re already rubbing your hands gleefully and planning for “climate change refugees”.With your thinking there can be no end until everyone is leveled to the lowest common denominator. >>

I'm as concerned as you are at the numbers of refugees coming to our shores. The problem for me is that the solutions on offer to prevent this happening are inhumane. It's easier for you, because that's not something you lose sleep over.

<< But we’ve been here before, various posters point out the deficiencies in your reasoning/accounts.What then happens: in most cases, you don’t respond to the points raised--you simply sidestep them ... >>

True, I don't always respond to every point made against an opinion of mine. Time is one factor. Another is that I don't like repeating myself. Once the argument starts to become circular as it often does with some of these threads, I leave it for someone else to have a go. A perfectly valid course of action I would have thought.

<< ... or worse, declare they aren’t valid ,apparently only because –Bronwyn said so! >>

It may appear that way at times, but I think I mostly back up what I say with evidence, especially when queried.
Posted by Bronwyn, Sunday, 15 November 2009 3:20:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yabby

<< A poster like Bronnie, will seek out opionions which comply with her extreme left agenda, then claim it as gospel, ignoring all other evidence, such as the above. >>

Firstly, the only 'agenda' I have is to express an opinion, which I presume is the reason we're all here.

Yes, I'm from the Left of the political spectrum, but my views are not extreme. That is just another one of the many labels you throw at me Yabby in order to discredit my arguments.

I don't ignore evidence and will admit error when any evidence submitted clearly shows I need to. Funny, I don't recall you doing that, but maybe you do.

As far as the link you're referring to, I'd already acknowledged that conditions seem to be improving when I stated - "Huge numbers of Tamil civilians have been in danger, though by all accounts there seems to be some hope of it easing now."

The author of the article, the Sri Lankan ambassador, is hardly a dispassionate observer. He's maintained there's no problem all along, which is exactly the stance you'd expect from a Government appointee. I'll be more persuaded by his words, once I start reading similar reports from objective sources.

Yabby, you can bully me all you like. It's water off a duck's back. The more you do it though, the more you look as though you're running out of countering argument.
Posted by Bronwyn, Sunday, 15 November 2009 3:26:59 PM
The perspectively myopic lot

Feel good? How?
emotionally overwhelmed? from what? Name calling and logically imbecilic labels. Those mentioned and several others don't feel the need to be so petty.

My response to H about Bronwyn was stating the OBVIOUS and how insulting it is to others to involve them in his petty little 'hate examinator' "because it amuses him game" (his words).

I'd challenge the name callers to the one I set H. in the post "women abuse children too"

You think that a number of my posted topics might have a common link? Of course they do.

Tip: there has been a lot of OLO action about refugees. Perhaps, just perhaps I was exploring the potential and causal links to this 'flood' or potential flood? My teasers question might tell you that, if you think about it. It's called 'context' a concept a number of you have difficulty with.

Therefore reveal some consistency of possible and practical responses.

NB I have consistently said that it's a problem but not “a flood” and resolution is more effective and cheaper at source. "A gram of prevention is worth a kilo of remedy"
Also the issue way more complex than a few boat loads refugee seekers.

Flash: I would like the issue solved not some temporary store of future hostility as the the ex-colonies are turning out to be. Take your pick then look at the pent up distrust.

Bugger Nirvana it's crap and the band was emotional crap too. How is enlighten self interest a uniquely left concept?

One wonders how you divorce war, abject poverty, ethnic and other internal strife from refugees in beyond me.

Which ever extra number of men go to Afghanistan the equation is going to end up sandwiching the people forcing numbers to flee (refugee).

What makes you think Sri Lanka is going to allow its Tamils to live a fair life (forgive and forget)? It has been a military controlled govt before and I have concerns again.
Now-a-days fleeing is easier that it was then.
Posted by examinator, Sunday, 15 November 2009 6:08:18 PM
*Yabby, you can bully me all you like*

Err hang on Bronnie, I don't bully you lol. Fact is you are a grown
woman and a chalkie, so pehaps are used to your kids accepting
your authority without question, but it does not work that way
on OLO. You have to make valid points of reason, or people will
shoot you down in flames.

Don't forget, I am just a humble peasant :)

Just because the ambassador works for the Sri Lankan Govt, does
not mean that he is unable to make valid points of reason, on their
behalf. I thought that the article contained quite a few really
good ones.

There were after all, good reasons why the camps were established
and why not everyone could return to their homes immediately. There
were also inspections of them, just not perhaps by your
favourite NGOs.

I don't blame the Sri Lankans if they kicked a few of them out,
for after all, they are self appointed, unelected and some of the
people who work for them, can be highly arrogant and biased.

Just look at groups like Peta. Hardly impartial observers to
anything, more like zealots. The same applies to many NGOs.

The ambassador did point out that Colombo is 39 % Tamil, including
many leading business houses and professionals. So being a Tamil
does not mean that Sri Lankan has become unlivable.

Yes, some Tamil terrorists wanted to chop off a piece of the island,
ignored the rule of law, shot and killed to fullfill their objective.
As terrorists, they should be prosecuted, not given a home in Australia.

Given that WA is largely treated as little then a cash cow by the
rest of Australia, I would be the first to support seccession of
our state from you lot, but I don't kill for it, I accept the rule
of law and order.
Posted by Yabby, Sunday, 15 November 2009 10:52:02 PM
Bronwyn ,

--“I'm as concerned as you are at the numbers of refugees coming to our shores”
I’m sorry, I must have missed those times you criticised fraudulent activity on the part of asylum seekers (& their advocates ).

Correct me if I am wrong, but you have yet to acknowledge that some sabotage their vessels, many destroy their papers & most are nothing like poor hard done by refugees –but I may have missed it – I will pay better attention perhaps I will catch it next time.

--“It's easier for you, because that's not something you lose sleep over”.
As much as we like you , our current refugee policy (or lack of it) seems a high price to pay to solve your insomnia.
Posted by Horus, Monday, 16 November 2009 5:02:26 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy