The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > if a *hoon car* to be named ......but why?

if a *hoon car* to be named ......but why?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
The latest adventure around here is short sircuting roundabouts.
When u see a car full of young blokes cruising around u know there is going to be trouble ahead.
Take it easy on blokes that wear hats, thats what ya supposed to do ya ninny.
Posted by Desmond, Monday, 2 November 2009 3:34:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"If you are on a motorcycle, for instance, and almost forced off the road by you guessed it hoon vehicle..."
Posted by Michael.

There is some irony here regarding my most memorable time when I was forced off the road by a car when riding a bike, because it was in the South-West, around 5 km from my destination of Augusta, one afternoon in July, 2001. I was riding a heavily-laden bicycle with trailer, around 90-100kg gross with rucksacks, food supplies and 0-10 litres water.

As usual, I was aiming to keep around 12" off the left edge of the road, and a convoy of oncoming traffic was approacing on the single carriageway, leaving Augusta. The 'hoon' who pulled out to overtake the slow traffic and would have cleaned me up if I hadn't gone bush quicksmart was driving a faded brown Volvo wagon (244/245 sort of mid-80s model).

I caught a quick glimse of her eyes as she flew past where I would have been keeping to MY left (her right) and she never even looked at me. Never knew how close she had come to wiping me off the face of the Earth. She wore some kind of nun's habit, the typical black headgear with the white forehead band. No kidding. I can't forget that close call. Just lucky there was plenty of dirt on the verge and I managed to get the bike back on the road without falling.
Posted by Seano, Monday, 2 November 2009 8:05:59 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"My other pet hate, morons opening car doors without checking for traffic of any type from cyclist to motorcyclist - takes a second to look, might save a life. Or if that isn't much of a deal, could save having to get a new car door."
Posted by Fractelle

Yes.
Rule #1 for city cyclists: Always keep 750mm from the stationary vehicles in case of an unexpected door opening.
Rule #1 for city passengers: Always look first, or if you can't see out the back or have no mirror, click the door open very gently around 3 inches or less, so that any cyclist can see what's about to hit them and change course.

Interesting that we have the 'We Should Be Concerned' thread calling for mandatory seven year sentences for uncouth fighting techniques with the foot (which I agree is a desipicable way to behave when the opponent is floored and no longer a threat) and yet we can open taxi doors on innocent two-wheeled motorists or drive our cars into them or pedestrians at our leisure, and then claim the repairs on our insurance.

Why not have mandatory sentences for those who cause physical harm or death to others with these lethal weapons? There are no excuses for 'accidents'. If you're in the wrong, you're guilty of more than just losing your no-claim bonus. Dead cyclists tell no tales.
Posted by Seano, Monday, 2 November 2009 8:06:38 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Why not have mandatory sentences for those who cause physical harm or death to others with these lethal weapons? There are no excuses for 'accidents'."

Seriously?
Posted by Houellebecq, Tuesday, 3 November 2009 10:14:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy