The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > 'Australia Day' should Be Held on 'March 3rd'

'Australia Day' should Be Held on 'March 3rd'

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Celebrating a national public holiday for the arrival of the first convict fleet would be okay for a colony that had not progressed, but not for an independent sovereign nation that has specific political and legal turning points in its history.

In 1788, Australia was simply Britain's so-called 'Pacific-Solution'. (I couldn't imagine Nauru claiming a 'national public holiday' from the first boat load of Australian asylum seekers.)

If present day Australians could miraculously appear on January 26th, 1788 and welcome the convict ships into the humid summer heat of Sydney Harbour. The flag waving would soon stop as they saw first-hand the suffering beneath the decks and the dead being taken away.

January 26th, divides the nation between indigenous and non-indigenous and anglo-celtic and non-anglo-celtic. Further, most Australian adults and all school children have already been on some form of annual leave when the Australia Day holiday comes around, having a public holiday whilst already on holidays deminishes its real effect.

As stated by the Chief Justice of the Australian high court in
1992: "The Australia Act 1986 (UK) marked the end of the legal sovereignty of the Imperial Parliament and recognised that ultimate sovereignty resided in the Australian people".

We have our independence day, it is March 3rd 1986, let's celebrate it.
Posted by Sense, Saturday, 24 October 2009 10:58:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don't believe that the last referendum result saw Australia become a republic, but have patience. Those of us born prior to 03/03/1986 will all eventually stop voting in referenda, and Australia Day/Invasion Day will one day be forgotten by the citizens of the Peoples' Republic of Australia when the YES votes are the majority.

The day that happens would perhaps qualify as 'Independence Day' for the United States of Australia. I'm just glad that as a seventh-generation Western Australian, I won't be around to suffer it.
Posted by Seano, Saturday, 24 October 2009 4:04:23 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm a firm believer in Australia day being celebrated the day we became a nation. Ok For all didn't happen for a further 60 odd years (at least officially) but 1/1/1901 does it for me. 1788 simply perpetuates the white supremacy myth that insults us all.

Seano
I was born before 1986 so were my children and they agree that Jan 1 does it.
Posted by examinator, Saturday, 24 October 2009 7:01:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Aye what's this moving me holiday why I've been a giving ya all a holiday for 56years, now ya wanta change it come on
26/1/1954 was a good day

Thanks all
From Dave

PS ya never even send me a card
Posted by dwg, Saturday, 24 October 2009 7:03:39 PM
I think that any celebration of 'Australia Day' is somewhat premature. I think we should follow the American example and celebrate Independence Day - if and when it finally happens.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Saturday, 24 October 2009 7:08:53 PM
'I think that any celebration of 'Australia Day' is somewhat premature. I think we should follow the American example and celebrate Independence Day - if and when it finally happens.'
by CJ Morgan,

Pashence iza vurtue, pozzesz it if yo cannz,

(epic lolz)
Posted by Seano, Saturday, 24 October 2009 7:28:41 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy