The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Right to Refuse Public 'Health' Services.

Right to Refuse Public 'Health' Services.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
I may not have many days to live from now, and post this thread to seek advice
from others with more knowledge of Australian law than I, on what steps I should
put in place to ensure that the normal cremation can proceed directly following
my death, directly from my home to the RIP venue, without the intervention
of the public hospital morgue as a stopover.

How should I make sure that my last request is carried out?
Posted by Seano, Friday, 23 October 2009 11:31:49 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You may not have an option, the corriner has to have a say.
If the coriner is happy with a letter from your doctor, you may be lucky, and be released with out tests.
Posted by Desmond, Friday, 23 October 2009 2:45:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you for your advice Desmond. That was about what I imagined, although my last doctor was not conversant with written words, and pro bono interruptions. May God forgive those who have no more helpful options.
Posted by Seano, Friday, 23 October 2009 2:54:37 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Personally,I have arranged with a teaching hospital to collect my body from my house and use it for the practice surgeons. They told me they needed bodies with 'pathologies'. I signed the paper work etc. no cost to me or my family ...All the family does is ring the hospital and they arrange the rest. two years later the hosp does a group memorial burns what's left and family get the ashes.

If they can do it I can't see that if your demise is of clear natural causes that a funeral director couldn't arrange the expediting of the cremation.The problem will be to find one.

There are also "Self cremations" (?) i.e. someone takes the body to the crematorium and they dispense with all the prayers and flowers and cremate. One needs to contact the crematoriums to find out which one will do the job. last time I inquired for me I was quoted $1000 .

The rest is I think law. Have you contacted a lawyer.
Other than that I can't help sorry.
Hope you are successful in arranging it YOUR way.
Posted by examinator, Friday, 23 October 2009 3:39:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Interesting question and one I have pondered on myself - though hopefully as a longer term objective.

My M-I-L died about 11 years ago after a long battle with cancer. It was her wish to die at home and with the assistance of a large family and community resources providing some in-home help she was able to achieve her last goal.

After her GP attended the home to confirm death, her remains were taken to the local funeral home where an embalming process took place. Her body was then delivered back to the house in open coffin where she remained for the next 2 days until funeral arrangements were finalised. Day of funeral, Undertaker collected and proceedings took place at nearby crematorium. Family was very satisfied with the way things went.

Problem is I have no idea what had to be done, what permissions (if any) needed to be obtained etc as this took place in NZ and as my partner is one of 9 children there was no need for me to be involved bar giving support and helping make refreshments.

I'm sure there would be some choices here though they may vary from State to State and even locality.

Good luck!
Posted by divine_msn, Friday, 23 October 2009 10:12:47 PM
Examinator - when my Dad died a couple of years back he thought he'd made exactly that arrangement with the regional teaching hospital. As it turned out, they stuffed up appallingly and only wanted bits of his body, and I was left to arrange and pay for cremation of the rest. You may want to consider whether you want to leave your family in that position.

My own view is that when I die what's left is a lump of meat that will need to be disposed of, and I'm not particularly fussed about what method is used. I quite like the idea of being used as fertiliser.

However, I will make damned sure that it's not my kids who have to arrange it.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Friday, 23 October 2009 11:42:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy