The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Your Tribal Past ...

Your Tribal Past ...

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. All
Foxy, i was born on Bunnerong land (Brighton, VIC) and brought up
with the Kerrup-jmara (central VIC) and Gunditjmara (south-western
VIC) clans of the Victorian Aboriginal community.

during my early twenties i was initiated into the Eagle totem of the
Kerrup-jmara clan.

many years later i was caught in a snow storm outside Seattle in the
USA and returned to Sydney with blurring in one eye. at the Sydney
eye hospital i was injected with a flourescent substance which showed
up in my iris as doctors determined whether the blood flow to my eye
had been damaged. during the examination a doctor commented as he
studied my iris that my gaze was as steady as he had seen, similar to
airline pilots and graziers trained to observe objects at extreme
distance ... my eagle eye!

the blurring eventually disappeared without further treatment.
Posted by whistler, Friday, 11 September 2009 10:41:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What a mixed bunch.

Mine's a bit more simple.

One side is british gentry, came out as an officer, & a gentleman, guarding the convicts, don't you know.

The other half were being guarded, mostly Irish, but some scottish.

Just goes to show what an undermining effect Oz had on the gentry, when they married into that lot, after just one generation. Would never have happened in the old country, moore's the pity. I wonder what the after dinner conversation was about, at family gatherings.

For some reason, most of them were in the timber industry, not cutting them down, but up. A large chunk of old Sydneys Balmain, Leichhardt area, was built with timber they had sawn into planks & things.

We went to Townsville after WW11, when I was 5, so I never even got to meet most of the hundred or so 4Th generation, let alone the 5Th, & now, even 6Th.

Bread like rabbits they do. Must be the Irish bit.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 11 September 2009 10:54:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy,
I'm still recovering from the shock that you're not a goddess ;-)
Old news.
born of Latvian Refos.
Adopted by 1st gen Scots father/mother Aussie three gens back.
Raised in PNG and was was prepared for initiation into the Tolai tribe.
Church Boarding school
Was trialed as a junior patrol officer.. not big, heavy enough.
Returned to Aust.
Culturally "I fall between bar stools" which is both a plus and a minus.
you choose.
I describe my self as a been there done and the tee shirt hides the scars person.
Posted by examinator, Friday, 11 September 2009 12:04:23 PM
Mea culpa! How could I have done it!? In the listing of my Tribe of Place compatriot ethnics' (to me) sub-tribes, I left out the gooks! Its unbelievable. Why, only the other week I was in Strathfield, and my daughter has also recently purchased a Hyundai car. How could I forget the Irish of Asia? Perhaps I should have listed them in afferbeck lauder after all.

I also found out something about OLO in the process of making that earlier post.

I have known since very early in my posting history that there was a profanity warning feature of the site, not that I have tended to elicit it often. So when I got the red 'remove profanity' warning, I was not utterly taken aback, for I had, for self-evident contextual reasons, used the words 'bugger', 'bastard', and 'bloody' in my post.

So I removed the 'b' from each of these words in the editing pane, and previewed the revision. The red profanity warning was still there! I didn't think I had used profanity anywhere else in the post. All the other names of Tribe of Place sub-tribes were terms of endearment, or colloquial expressions, I thought. After all, this is multi-cultural Australia.

Then I had a flash of inspiration. I would try removing the 'n' word. Sure enough, on previewing the revision, the profanity warning was gone. Just to be sure that the 'n' word was the real igger in the woodpile, I replaced all the 'b's and previewed again. Yes, it was definitely just the 'n' word that was bringing up the profanity warning. So I bracketed the 'n', because I felt sure that many would not be familiar with this Australian sub-tribe, there being so comparatively few (n)iggers in the country, and would consequently need the term made plain. This fooled the profanity censor.

I have half a mind to refer this to the Anti-Discrimination Commission. I reckon Graham should remove the 'n' word as recognised profanity on OLO. Few are likely to be justifiably niggled by it.
Posted by Forrest Gumpp, Friday, 11 September 2009 2:49:20 PM
I've got Irish settlers from county Kerry on one side, English cattle thieves on the other.

My blue eyes and red beard mean I've got Scandinavian genes by default, but there's too much migration among my ancestors to nail down where they all came from.

My great-great-great grandmother migrated on a ship that sat under quarantine in Sydney harbour for 3 months. Of the 300 or so passengers that embarked, she was one of the dozen that walked off alive.

I owe my hardy immune system to her!
Posted by Sancho, Friday, 11 September 2009 3:07:45 PM
Forrest

<< I reckon Graham should remove the 'n' word as recognised profanity on OLO. Few are likely to be justifiably niggled by it. >>

I wouldn't be so sure.

And besides even if it does only offend a few, that is still good enough reason for it to be kept out of circulation, don't you think?

I don't have an aboriginal or negro background but I still consider the term offensive, as I do many others on your list too BTW dear Forrest. :)

<< and last of all, asylum seekers (also known as illegals or boat people). >>

.. known INCORRECTLY as illegals ..
Posted by Bronwyn, Friday, 11 September 2009 3:45:03 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. All