The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > History will judge us... Personally.

History will judge us... Personally.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
under one god,

Don't be a troll thanks mate. I'm a Christian and your suspicious defensive narrow minded little head AUTOMATICALLY goes on the attack. People like you are why others are intolerant of religion. Instead of causing drama, act LIKE the Christian you profess to be. People like you make me just as angry as you make Atheists.

I offered no opinion of Darwinism but only inferred it's inception as part of social awareness in the last 100 years. Whether you like it or not it's part of our society and the people who prefer that train of thought should be as respected just as you expect to be. Without tolerance of each other beliefs we're screwed. And you, my friend, are just as much of a problem with intolerance and those who are driven by hate.

And honestly mate, you barely make sense.
Posted by StG, Wednesday, 26 August 2009 6:00:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well Grim, to be brutally honest, once the worms move in to recycle
you, you won't be there to give a darn about what history thinks :)
Posted by Yabby, Wednesday, 26 August 2009 8:48:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Grim,

Interesting topic.

To learn about how the “little guy” lived in ancient times archaeologists now go through old garbage tips. In the distant future, someone could be reading OLO [Hi there!], by going through the common records of common persons.

One hopes students of history in 5,009 CE will be fortunate enough to have images and video of our era. Just think how history would be for us, if we had video of, the Battle of Waterloo or the trial Galileo. Yet, maybe, it is not all so straight forward. There is the issue of reproduction of material not on paper. Even today, the vinyl records and computer tapes of 1970s are obsolete. Historical records need to be played back.

Recording histories electronically is of a concern to some archivists. Paper is known to last centuries, in fact; but what of electronic data? It is unproven, in fact. Whay of, electromagnetic pulse from solar flares or nuclear wars?

With nuclear fission would electricity stay our main power medium? Will people in the fiftieth century even use electricity? Reflect, if someone suggested on 1809 CE, that the horse would no longer be a prime means a transport within two hundred years, they would have been laughed at.

One possible scenario in the near future is enormous computing and storage power being available in data clouds in cyber-space. Communication will be so quick a local tower and disk will not be required and the connection will be fully transparent. How would such an environment evolve? What would be our relationship to it? Rivers and port towns haveinfluenced the geophysicality of past civilizations. How will the information clouds effect the civilization on our horizon?
Posted by Oliver, Thursday, 27 August 2009 10:35:04 AM
When people use the word judge, like in History will judge us - personally, who is the Judge you are referring to. History will see the period between 1871, and the restoration of as of right jury trials, as an aberrant period, when man became judge of man.

We all will face judgment if the truth is known. We face it every day. Like Bett Midler says in her song, God is watching you, God is watching you. The whole of the Old Testament and most of the New Testament is concerned with justice and poverty. Is History Almighty God. Looking back at the period between 1949 and 2009, a period of sixty years what has been the biggest feature of that period.

The fracture of the Commonwealth, the destruction of the Rule of Law, the institutionalization of poverty, the replacement of justice with Centrelink, all happened in the past sixty years. The compulsory redirection of national wealth from those working to those not working, will be examined, and the question will be asked, why has the burden been lumped on workers. Is it because money talks, and money has been given a voice in the past sixty years.

When we read all about the Wooly Mammoths and how they were made extinct in a day, some so quick frozen that they still had buttercups in their mouths, we should get things in perspective. This third rock from the sun, has had a turbulent and violent past. It may well have a further turbulent future, and we could all go the way of the Wooly Mammoth.

I sort of think we take ourselves too seriously. What real difference to the world will it make if we simply use what is given to us, for our own welfare? India will continue to pollute no matter what we do. So will China. If we cut off our nose to spite our face, will it make the world a better place?

When man becomes a Judge, the presumption is that man is greater than Almighty God. Judge not that ye be not judged
Posted by Peter the Believer, Thursday, 27 August 2009 10:36:05 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks everyone, for some interesting observations. My specific concern was for the use or mis-use of non renewable resources. Why is it more acceptable to use a non renewable resource which won't run out for 100 years, than 20 years?
And would you change your mind about using such a resource, if you knew, without doubt, that your great, great grandchildren could look you up, and see how you voted on that question?
I really have no idea what my great great grandparents did or felt; but I definitely would not be happy if I were able to look up their discussions with just a click of a virtual mouse and find out they were slave owners, or advocated the genocide of aboriginals.
Do we have a responsibility to our descendants? Should we try to make them proud of us?
So far, I think Yabby is the only one to respond directly to that question.
He voted NO.
Posted by Grim, Thursday, 27 August 2009 12:11:54 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Grim,

According to Richard Leakey, of the famed family of anthropologists, humans consume forty percent of the Earth’s Gross Natural Production. If China and Indian, South Africa and South America aspire to Western standards of living , sorry to say it, but, there simply isn’t enough Earth, unless, there are changes in technology and consumption patterns. Earth cannot support seven billion peoples at the same quality of life, as the average citizen in Geneva.

Also, we need to be mindful of the second law of thermodynamics. Al Gore might say he can have a mansion because “he” was a negative footprint. Yet the guy who made the solar panels for his roof will spend and might buy an environmentally unfriendly product. Thus, the borders of the “closed system” (from the second law) need to be broader, essentially planetary.

Adam Smith recommended that the best economic system is one in which all individuals look-out for their own interests. It worked for Capitalism, for now. Yet, Capitalism (moderated by Unionism) forgets the Market is a limited human system, within a more power system. Herein, Earth's total ecology is our Sword of Damocles, which hangs overhead. Yet, if Smith's key point remains true, we must act in our interests, while recognizing John Nash, who holds best outcomes are achieved, when we act together for our individual benefit.
Posted by Oliver, Thursday, 27 August 2009 1:54:28 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy