The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > History will judge us... Personally.

History will judge us... Personally.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
I believe, historically, the 20th and 21st centuries are going to be a 'stand out' period, like the Renaissance and the Industrial Revolution. Obviously, future historians are going to look back at this period and make some judgements on the decisions we make.
But will it only be historians?
On another thread, it was suggested that we users make sure our families know our user names and passwords, 'just in case'.
Out of idle curiosity, I checked the records OLO keeps of everyone's posts. My first post was in April, 2006 (and I misspelt Muslim). I wonder how long will OLO continue to keep these posts?
Unlike past history, which has been largely interested in Heads of State, and people of significance, in future it seems likely our descendants will be able to very easily and very quickly look up what we, as their personal ancestors, felt about about the issues of our day.
How are our great great grandchildren going to judge us, on issues like the use of non renewable resources?
More importantly, would awareness of personal accountability change anyone's mind?
My name is Peter William Grimley, and I would like to state for the record, that I believe the over use of any resource -living or dead- to the point of depletion or extinction, is
STUPID.
How about you?
Posted by Grim, Wednesday, 26 August 2009 6:41:50 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hey Grim,

My name is Julie and I am a foster parent on the Central Coast and I would like to say to the Australian state wards in NSW that are being, and will be, handed to non government organisations for profit; I am so sorry and I am not finished.
Posted by The Pied Piper, Wednesday, 26 August 2009 8:28:17 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think quite obviously this period (1900+) is probably the MOST significant part in human history. It will be that way until there's a major breakthrough in how we (as a species) conduct ourselves.

You've just got to look at the "breakthroughs" we've had since 1900 (and a little bit before). Evolution (that theory is only a hundred-ish years old), electricity, engines, industry, "advances" in warfare, flight, computers and associated tech, space observation and travel etc etc. The last hundred years has been HUGE for the species.

Most definitely we'll be looked at, and it's VERY possible someone will have a look at your opinion on things...depending if they know (like you say) all your pseudonyms.
Posted by StG, Wednesday, 26 August 2009 9:52:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
stg<<..The last hundred years has been HUGE for the species.>>>and the unthinking confuse genus...with the evidence of speciation,..within the genus,....as proof of genus evolution...

oh well i have made my point...in other places...have still to validate the theory...as being,,,in any way a valid or true..science.yues science facts are claimed ...

but evolution remains a theory....a new belief system for the faithfull...led by faith..to faith in science,,,needing their god free...cause of causes...lol...

via natural buzzwords...little seeing god is reflected in his creation...ie nature....lol...who does the natural selection...who automates the autonimous response...how is the term natural/chance/survival of the fit/fat-test ..science?
Posted by one under god, Wednesday, 26 August 2009 10:18:39 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes i agree . It doesn't matter what social environment or culture we come from or what area of expertise we are in- I am finding that most intelligent aware people can see that this is a period of immense realisation and change. The end of life as we know it and the beginning of an new epoch for humankind.

Some would even call a battle between good and evil.. Some scientists can tell us that we have been here many times in different civilisations before this one. Many concrete examples exist of this and yet it is not mainstream but relegated to myth.

I am not proposing that we will be annihilated this time with only few remaining to start all over. Yet i do believe this battle will be won by all that is good in humankind..
Posted by Jana Banana, Wednesday, 26 August 2009 11:10:02 AM
I think we, as a sapient species, take ourselves far too seriously. In the grand scheme of things nature doesn’t give a “rats”. We are one of 4.2 million biological variants on a small warm planet in an insignificant solar system, located in the outer suburbs of one spiral arm of our galaxy. The lifespan of our home planet is a mere blink in cosmic terms yet we have time to annihilate ourselves many times over before our Sun runs out of fuel.

We need to celebrate our arts, cultures, sciences, courage and compassion, to use them as the building blocks that can liberate us from the inhibitors of non productive emotions.

We need to accept the fact that regardless of what we might do to ourselves, Mother Nature is more than capable of delivering a wide variety of knockout blows. That accepted, we can then get on with developing into a benign species.

If you support evolution, this will be a natural process if we can survive long enough. If you are a creationist, God will just have to replace us with a better model.
Posted by spindoc, Wednesday, 26 August 2009 1:53:22 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy