The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > bot or no bot

bot or no bot

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
The other day a strange thing happened.
The has computer been set to use Dvorak Key Board mapping.
It is a *$^%$! XP OS.
Firefox 4.3
Firewalls(2)*#@*&$#% soft and Nortons
Nortons updated antivirus
encrypted internet
While still logged on to legit website ...a coffee break...still logged on to the site the keyboard on it's own reverted to Qwerty...the Computer was then physically disconnected from the net.... in Open office.....it was still Dvorak

Hmmmmm very strange

The computer was scanned by a second CD Based anti virus no malware.

Any ideas?
Posted by examinator, Saturday, 22 August 2009 10:14:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I've got bucket loads of ideas, but none that will help if want the computer intact. Mine does random weird stuff too.
Posted by StG, Sunday, 23 August 2009 8:11:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Looks like the site you were using requires input of the upper numeral characters.
If it expects a "#" character it expects the shift 3 character.
If your Shift 3 character is not "#" then the received character would be incorrect.
To force this response they convert your keyboard to qwerty.
They should revert you back at logoff, whether they do or not??
Hope this may help
Posted by ponde, Monday, 24 August 2009 10:51:04 AM
Discussed your experience with nerd geek son, Examinator. He suggests that what may have happened, if you have enabled automatic updates over the web for your Microsoft XP operating system, is that upon such an update and as a consequence of it, that your preferences for the keyboard settings may have reverted to the default XP settings. My son says such things seemingly capriciously occur with some MS OS automatic updates.

It may have been that while you were on your coffee break an automatic update may just happen to have been completed, and resulted in just such a reversion to a default setting of a QWERTY keyboard layout in your computer as you describe.

Given that Open Office is a non-Microsoft piece of software, it may be that reversions to default settings that might otherwise pervade your computer were you to be using only Microsoft programs (such as MS Office) are not triggered by automatic updates of the operating system, thus explaining the retention of the Dvorak keyboard preference you describe when in the open source program Open Office.

This is just a suggestion. There may be some other cause of this behaviour. I do not know whether a malware program such as Back Orifice (which allows a remote intruder to control your computer) would be picked up by your anti-virus program, but I presume it would. It is hard to imagine any poster to OLO being a worthwhile target of such an intrusion, in any event, but I suppose it might be possible.
Posted by Forrest Gumpp, Monday, 24 August 2009 11:47:59 AM
Thanks all,
Come to think of it I did receive an update about then.

Who would want to waste the effort to leech from me....Boring.
My issue is who I talk to, their private email addresses and their vulnerability, not what secrets are on my box. But what it (the box) could do....bot.

Again thanks all.
Posted by examinator, Tuesday, 25 August 2009 10:59:09 AM
I am Cindy from China,working in a mining equipment company named Zhengzhou Vipeak Heavy Industry Machinery Co., Ltd,our company mainly produce crusher, sand making machine, grinding mill and other mining machinery. i want to gain a success in our company, if you want to know more about me, more about our company, you can obrowse our website.
http://www.crushingmill.com/ crusher
http://www.crushingmill.com/Crusher.html stone crusher|jaw crusher

Being a leading company in Industrial powder processing, Engineering Stone crushing and Construction Sand Making, Zhengzhou Vipeak Heavy Industry Machinery Co., Ltd is a high-tech mining machinery company in China.Our service has expanded to the entire world, almost including 75 countries.From Engineering Stone, Construction Sand to Engineering Powder, All Equipments from VIPEAK exert great productivity and stability on working sites, make the customers satisfied. We strongly feel that customers do not only need equipments with good performance, but in the hope of their efficiency, their benefit and their competitive power。so high value added equipments have been produced.We have never been satisfied; our customer’s satisfaction is our utmost objective.
http://www.crushingmill.com/Jaw.html jaw crusher
http://www.crushingmill.com/Raymond.html raymond mill
http://www.grinderpro.com/ crusher
Posted by qiancindy, Wednesday, 26 August 2009 4:20:07 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy