The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Torture in a so called

Torture in a so called

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. All
Hello RobP, commonsense has not won out. That judgement has opened the way for that poor man to die a drawnout, painful and horrible death. Yes, the death, if he chooses it, will be a lot less drawnout, painful and horrible than his previous alternative. But either way, he is destined to suffer horribly. To die of starvation and thirst is a nasty, horrible way to die. There's nothing peaceful about it, despite the drugs that will be given. There's a good chance his actual moment of death will be hoffific and painful. He deserves better. I would classify people in his hopeless situation in the same way I'd classify the terminally ill. He deserves to have the right to access medically administered euthanasia under a legalised euthanasia system. That gives him the best chance to experience a quick, pain free death, if that is what he chooses. The 2 choices he has now, to live on in pain, misery and hopelessness or to die a horrible death via starvation/thirst, are 2 awful choices. One's heart goes out to this poor man. Thank you.
Posted by MaryE, Friday, 14 August 2009 9:57:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good Evening everyone,

I've just heard the news on television about
the Rossiter case. The Courts in WA have set
a precedent - of finally allowing this man
the right to die - as he wishes. However, not
by putting him to sleep painlessly - but by
allowing the medical staff to stop feeding him.
That is, allowing him to starve to death.
Which, as another poster pointed out - is
an agonizing way to die.

It's the compromise that was acceptable to them
in WA. My heart goes out to the man and his family
and friends. As do my prayers.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 14 August 2009 11:26:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
MaryE,

I see your point - I meant it was common sense to the extent that he would no longer be lingering around in a body that made his life not worth living.

Does Christian Rossiter actually want to take a drug to end his life? I can't remember that being reported.

As an afterthought - and I don't mean to misleadingly wave a carrot in the air here - but what if there is a palliative solution found or even a way of repairing his paralysis in his life time?
Posted by RobP, Saturday, 15 August 2009 1:50:43 PM
RobP

<< but what if there is a palliative solution found or even a way of repairing his paralysis in his life time? >>

How long is a life-time?
Posted by Fractelle, Saturday, 15 August 2009 1:56:50 PM
"How long is a life-time?"

In his case, the amount of time he is prepared to wait, I suspect.
Posted by RobP, Saturday, 15 August 2009 2:08:43 PM
RobP

Then Christian Rossiter has already made his wishes clear.

My wish is that the medical staff can quietly administer assistance of the most humane kind.
Posted by Fractelle, Saturday, 15 August 2009 2:18:20 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. All