The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > banning plastic carry bags-have we realy thought it through!

banning plastic carry bags-have we realy thought it through!

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Bronwyn,
Must have missed yous reply sorry
I don't use Wheelie bin liners. I wash the bins with a floor scourer (sponge thingy)in water which goes on the garden. Then I use a 1-1 water/bleach(2.5% Milton baby bottle solution is 1%) spray bottle coating all contact surfaces close the lid and let it stand rinsing it off or not depending on time available. Dilution rates are then ridiculously low.
Same for the inside bin (stainless steel)

PS I use the same solution to de-slime the shower floor. the waiting time is a couple of hours then I scrub...yep I would have made a good wife for some woman..
Ecologically it beats the expensive and far more toxic cornucopia of concoctions sold in the super markets and in homes. Not to mention the waste of resources.

:-) Am I a good boy now pretty please with home grown native bee honey on top?
Posted by examinator, Sunday, 10 May 2009 3:38:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Fractelle,

What happened to those leaves your neighbour blew? What happens to the leaves you sweep I wonder?

Rehctub,

Indeed public liability fears can be a factor in prompting businesses to use more wrapping. The question of liability is worthy of a serious discussion in its own right but if retailers were prohibited from providing bags then they could not logically be held responsible for the consequences.

I would also suggest that our present society has evolved some ridiculously dysfunctional norms or regulations such as this phobia about liability and safety. Its frightening, perplexing and very hard to combat. I wish I knew how to tackle the problem.

As to your comment:- "Would you be happy with someone placing their hands into a large vessel and grabbing out an aspirin or two?" No I would not be particularly happy - the packaging in my view should be both minimal and appropriate.
Posted by kulu, Sunday, 10 May 2009 5:13:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Kulu
Indeed public liability fears can be a factor in prompting businesses to use more wrapping. The question of liability is worthy of a serious discussion in its own right but if retailers were prohibited from providing bags then they could not logically be held responsible for the consequences.
Gee I wish it were that simple. You see, one part of a goverment department usually makes a descision then another impliments it, then a third polices it.

Now if someone gets ill from what is thought to be contaimated meats. First I get a visit from safe food. If it leads to prosorcusion then I have to pay a lawyer to defend me and, even if I win I still loose as I have been away from my core income sourse. See, we don't get paid unless we sell something. People running small businesses don't get paid to be there, so any disruption causes financial pain.

Now I don't want to make this into a 'employer V employee' thread. So please don't anyone go down this road.
Posted by rehctub, Sunday, 10 May 2009 6:24:16 PM
Troops,
If my failing memory it anything to go by I have recollection it has something to do with anti tampering.i.e. Some bozo with a grudge or an axe to grind poisoning pills.

Also the push through packet stops wee fingers from "mummy lollies"
as I've heard them called by one short thinking mum to her child....the key word was 'lollies'.

The question is 'is there a better way?' I give up! is there?
Tamper proof bottles are a problem for people with arthritis etc.
then would a ten pill bottle be any cheaper or not cause problem in the environment resources, polution, energy etc?

Fractelle,

I have issues not with leaf blowers they're just tools. What bothers me are the dingbats at the other end. The same as chainsaws.
Lawn moving guys who use them to blow the messy driveways clean of leaves, grass clippings ( weed seeds) into drains that run into a local creek then complain to the council for all the weeds choking what was a lovely brook 30 years ago.

How were they used to save houses in a bush fire situation like the one recently in OUTER melb I'm curious? As I understand it it all depends on what leaves and where they went and fire of the ferocity a few leaves weren't the problem. Gutters and flying empers the wind etc.
Posted by examinator, Sunday, 10 May 2009 6:48:58 PM
Examinater,

1. At the very least provide alternative, friendly packaging for those who seek it.
2. If we are on about aspirins and arthritics specifically then perhaps a plastic or cardboard container with an easy to remove/replace fitted lid plus retain that adult proof - sorry child proof screw top container for non arthritic people with children who don't have a "safe" place to store their aspirins. I don't know what the answer is for arthritics with children.
3. I would think that the difference in cost between 10 aspirins and 100 would be minimal so just have a larger minimum quantity. The problem with this is that everyone along the supplier chain would make less profit even if the consumer and the environment would benefit - that in my view is the main driving force behind it all.

Rehctub,

You have a problem but if you already have three government officials hounding you you should be able to take on a fourth, the Dept.of Appropriate Packaging perhaps?
Posted by kulu, Sunday, 10 May 2009 7:40:22 PM
Asprin and such has to be tamper proof, idiots and criminals have opened them here and in other countrys.
Killing people even in attempts to black mail.
How we handle waste may be the answer.
But the subject is plastic bags, why not look to our past?
We once had large paper bags ,ours had string handles Americas did not you put your hands under them to carry.
They got wet if you put some things in them but seem less a threat than plastic.
My plastic bags go under the lawn mower, it takes care, and are added to the compost.
Paper could be used in the same way, some however will not make a personal effort to do the right thing.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 11 May 2009 5:35:46 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy