The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > so why does the truth often stop a thread

so why does the truth often stop a thread

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Sry, can't resist.

rehctub:"being a butcher for 30 odd years one thing you get is a quick whit"

Surely you mean a quick whet?

As you were, everyone...
Posted by Antiseptic, Sunday, 3 May 2009 8:21:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Eggplant!

Yecch!
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Sunday, 3 May 2009 8:59:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Truth?
Eggplant IS NOT a food, it's a bland, tasteless carrier for real flavours, even my GOATS wouldn't eat it, and THAT'S saying something!

I suspect threads die as a natural part of their existence, all that can be said by those interested has been, and/or there's too much negativity happening, so they die.
Posted by Maximillion, Sunday, 3 May 2009 9:22:45 AM
Rehctub, I think many OLOers already have an entrenched position on topics and only refer us to URL’s that support their perspective. The point is well made that some of us feel threatened by something factual that disturbs that perspective. The “what would it take to change your mind” thread some weeks ago was a good example.

The problem occurs when you have already “nailed you colors to the mast” because you have to defend them.

The hurling of URL’s is the best example of defending those entrenched perspectives, the debates often end for all the reasons stated by other posters but I suspect mostly because the refusal by some to look at other sources of information which are contrary to ones perspective, because they might be a direct threat to the defense of your “colors”. The result is often trashing that contrary source, finding another source that refutes it and playing the player not the ball. The result is often frustration and sometimes abuse.

If it helps, humans have evolved three basic defense mechanisms, Head, Heart and Body.

“Head” types defend with facts, figures and statistics. Hard nosed pragmatists, take no hostages. Definitely not conflict averse.

“Heart” types feel the emotion in a topic; facts and figures cause them great pain and are often not accepted because of the emotion they generate, their defense mechanism is known as “emotional blackmail”.

“Body” types, the intuitors (bless them, I married one). They see both sides of the debate, show great empathy and tend to be conflict averse. Their defense is to create harmony.

It is not hard to pick some of the personality types on display in OLO or why some of us behave the way we do.

To your question “so why does the truth often stop a thread?” Truth is more to do with its “effect” on us individually and our “reaction” to it. Hence, something that I see as a blinding glimpse of the obvious will cause someone else great pain.

Forgive us; we’re just “wired” that way
Posted by spindoc, Sunday, 3 May 2009 9:51:30 AM
Apologies rechtub if my comment caused offense.

I do think sometimes people see offense where none was intended but I can see how a flippant attempt at humour may have been seen as sarcastic in this case.

Your comment to me on the PRT discussion about not responding because of a failure to come up with a counter-argument could also be interpreted as insulting - but hey we are all human - and I chose not to take it as such. We we are all not focussed on OLO 24/7 so we may not always respond within a particular time frame.

Take on board some of the comments here on your thread as to why sometimes people choose to move on to another discussion or think the debate has come to an end.
Posted by pelican, Sunday, 3 May 2009 10:25:21 AM
Perhaps people are just not interested in the subject put up. I'm not interested in this one;I looked only because the title mislead me into believing that it was about 'the TRUTH often stopping a thread'.

But, your post has nothing to do with truth.

Perhaps if you thought more carefully about what you wanted to say, and labelled your thoughts accordingly, you might get more takers.
Posted by Leigh, Sunday, 3 May 2009 10:44:43 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy