The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Free speech under attack

Free speech under attack

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 15
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. Page 18
  10. All
“I've been out of the country now for 3 years (My how time flies etc. etc.) and I have noticed both you and a couple of other posters recently using that "aye" you mentioned. “

Oh see I’ve only been IN the country three years Romany. I remember being teased as a teenager by a boyfriend’s father for saying “aye” all the time. Might just be me... don’t know about the others. Raised wrong I’d say.

Yeah like in the word “say”. Where I am (central coast NSW) they all end their sentences with “but”. “I had fun though but”, “I didn’t like what he said but” “I smashed him but”. They also do this in the deep south of NZ but nowhere else there. I found it weird. No I don’t mean smashing people who offend them – actually yeah that too.

“(Remember how quickly 'sick' and 'wicked' suddenly morphed into good things?)”

Yeah and “player” – That is a complete change of perception based on one word.

It must be hard for your students. Even coming here from NZ (and we don’t get closer than that) I was astounded by people talking about “thongs” – in NZ these are what G-strings are called not Jandels (aka Oz thong).

"p.s. The other day I initiated some of them into the Aussie ability to use the celebrated F-word as a noun, adjective, adverb, etc. and to insert it into the middle of words such as abso-furken-lootely. They are delighted: - but the ones headed for Sweden are jealous they will not be able to exercise this skill."

Swedes not down with it then
Posted by Jewely, Thursday, 14 May 2009 2:11:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Glaswegians use 'but' to end sentences too. As NZ culture has taken a lot from Scottish culture, the connection could be there. Dunedin (Gaelic for Edinburgh) is also in the deep south of NZ, so it looks really possible.

Examples from Glasgow - when learning of the departure of friends -
'Zat yiz aff, well?' - 'Is that you (plural) off?' - note another quaint Wegie affectation of ending the sentence in 'well'.
Then -
'Where are yiz aff tae, but?' - 'Where are you off to?'.

Early Billy Connolly material used Wegie language most of the time.
Posted by Austin Powerless, Thursday, 14 May 2009 6:49:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
“Glaswegians use 'but' to end sentences too. As NZ culture has taken a lot from Scottish culture, the connection could be there. Dunedin (Gaelic for Edinburgh) is also in the deep south of NZ, so it looks really possible.

Examples from Glasgow - when learning of the departure of friends -
'Zat yiz aff, well?' - 'Is that you (plural) off?' - note another quaint Wegie affectation of ending the sentence in 'well'.
Then -
'Where are yiz aff tae, but?' - 'Where are you off to?'.”

Hey Austin if you need a tissue just ask dear.

You know when I was at boarding school we spoke to each other in this weird way – smoke would be Smodagodagoke, bath would be bada-adagath. Took us forever to have a conversation but it was because the matrons were always listening through the intercom. I heard most people in institution type places end up with their own secret language. My own kids (says a lot about my household) do the one where like smoke would be mokay and bath would be athbay.

Oh – I’m from deep south originally (Gore), even further south than Dunedin and inland. My Granddad still spoke Scots Gaelic.

I roll my “R’s” – nah the sound man what are you thinking? Didn’t know about the “but” thing though – nah the word man, Austin seriously get your mind out of the gutter.

I never heard of Wegie language before – badly fitting undies?
Posted by Jewely, Friday, 15 May 2009 7:19:14 AM
Jewely, how can I get my mind out of the gutter when you write about 'Rs' an 'buts'? Dare I mention that, in Glasgow, if one wants to ask someone for a spare cigarette, one asks to 'bum a fag'.

If I wanted a tissue, I'd say 'geeza snotrag'.

As for Wegie language and undies - Wegie is short for Glaswegian while Teuchters (Highlanders) don't wear undies - the wear the kilt commando.

Another secret language is the 'egg language' where 'egg' is inserted before every vowel. Eggits queggite seggimple teggo leggearn.
Posted by Austin Powerless, Friday, 15 May 2009 3:22:00 PM
Hi Austin, I haven’t heard” bum a fag” in ages, yeah probably not very PC these days aye, I hadn’t even thought of it in years. How did homos end up being called fags? You don’t think it was from that phrase do ya?

I still call them snotrags, most people haven’t even seen one, and everyone uses tissues these days, probably shocking for the environment.

Had not heard the egg language before… I reckon even my grumpy old matrons back at boarding school would have cottoned on to that one. I went to school down Oamaru, I suspect this is a fully Maori word.

You know what, I have no idea what topic we are in or how much trouble you get in around here for just sneaking away and having a wee random chat. Do you get told on or anything?
Posted by Jewely, Friday, 15 May 2009 6:01:20 PM
Hi Jewelly

There's a good Weegie word for those who tell on you - 'clipe'.

So unless there are clipes on this thread, we are safe.

Some Weegie news on Merlin -
http://www.scotsman.com/latestnews/Wizard-Weegie--wheeze-.5274753.jp
Posted by Austin Powerless, Sunday, 17 May 2009 4:00:18 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 15
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. Page 18
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy