The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > taking up the challenge-hearing angels

taking up the challenge-hearing angels

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
People here might of heard of the recent Leonard Cohen tour and the reception it received, and the comments of many who heard him.

Despite the cliches 'music to slit your wrists by' etc, this was a concert which people struggle to describe and fall back to comments like 'it was like a religious experience'. Even my atheist girlfriend was making such comments. I've heard lots of people say it was the best they have seen.

I do not exaggerate when I say that I saw people crying with joy during the show. I could swear that I heard angels.

The feeling of camaraderie and of community throughout was palpable. Strangers embraced at the end or shook hands with enthusiasm and a feeling that we were bonded by our shared experience.

A 74 yo man warbling for 3 1/2 hours in the dark in the middle of the Aust. bush humbled us and moved us and ultimately...words fail me.

I don't mind if people want to respond with a Leonard discussion or with their own similarly moving experiences.
Posted by palimpsest, Wednesday, 8 April 2009 6:41:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
O.M.G. - Cohen gave a concert-in-the-bush in Australia? What, did someone tip him off I was out of the country? Damn.

I first discovered him years ago when I was living in a really ghastly, semi-industrial section of Lyons, France with a depressed classical guitarist and his ex-mistress. You'd think that was a recipe for wrist-slashing if anything was.

Instead it inspired all three of us: I went to Paris to buy a couple of his albums and just kept going. (Still haven't stopped, actually) The depressed classical guitarist went to Africa and, five years later, went back and married the ex-mistress who had gone back to Uni and qualified as an industrial chemist. Cohen rocks!

As to mystical (music) experiences?
1. Sitting on a hill on leave from China where you never see the sky. Lying on my back with the scent of crushed gum-leaves,gazing spell bound at the stars, a couple of old and trusted friends within grinning distance and listening to Cat Empire. I felt happiness so profound it was almost too intense!

2. Sunday afternoon. A beer garden in a country pub stumbled on by accident. John Butler and a couple of mates, wives and kids, just happened to drop in also and set up an impromptu jam session.

Afternoon turned into twilight and no-one moved. No crowds, cows lowing in the background, no cars, just the music and the twilight, babies dozing on laps and everyone moving their chairs a little closer to each other as pub and local shop staff swelled the number.
Serrendipitous, unexpected, magic.
Posted by Romany, Wednesday, 8 April 2009 9:36:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We went to the Brisbane concert. It was the best concert I've ever been to (and that's saying something!). With tickets, motel, travel, dinner and paying for relief staff there wasn't much change from $1000, but it was worth every cent.

I even bought the official programme (something I never do), which my partner framed and hung in the kitchen.

A truly beautiful, astounding experience.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Wednesday, 8 April 2009 10:20:18 PM
It's moments like these that show us
that the heart not the brain, is the
light of the world, when the intellect
bows to the spiritual impulse.

Moments like these only confirm that
the psyche, as well as the body, need
both heart and brain, in order to survive
happily. Like Chinese women who bound their
feet and then couldn't walk freely, we can't
bind our hearts without stunting our growth.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 9 April 2009 9:45:22 AM
Nina Simone at the National Theatre in Victoria, sometime during the 80's - electric.

As for everyone who sat enthralled by Leonard Cohen, you lucky b*stards, have been a fan for more years than I care to admit to.

However, spiritual moments? Even after the stress of the bush fires, I am entranced every time I step out the door of my house or I hand feed kookaburras or laze in the grass watching an echidna as it snuffles and trundles for ants or hold a baby ringtail possum in my hand. Too many golden moments to recount here. I am so lucky.
Posted by Fractelle, Thursday, 9 April 2009 1:45:47 PM
Fractelle, maybe it's as Ayn Rand wrote that religion has wrongly monopolised the language of our noblest deeds and most special moments that people resort to expressing these in 'religious' terms. It will be it's own wonder to see the environment come back to life after the fires.

Romany, Down and Out in Lyon with a depressed muso and his mistress. Very Cohenesque.

A couple of quips from the show

"thank you for having me, I was kinda nervous you know. First time I've done this in 14 years. I was 60 last time I stood on stage-just a kid with a crazy dream....."and

"I've also indulged myself in the various religions and philosophies. But cheerfulness kept breaking thru" and

"I was discussing my drinking problem with Sharon Robinson(co-writer etc). She said 'this is very serious, we'd better put it to music..."
Posted by palimpsest, Thursday, 9 April 2009 4:53:09 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy