The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > McDonalds in schools

McDonalds in schools

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
McDonalds have recently struck a deal with the Federal government to be allowed to provide a free on line maths tutor package to classes 7-12 throughout state, catholic and independent schools in Australia. Finally, they have managed to weedle their way into one of the last bastions of marketing/corpration free environments: the virgin territory of the school. And Julia Gillard commends them. Yes you read it right, the Australian government commends McDonalds.

What hope do we, as parents, have of educating our children in good foods/bad foods when, once they enter the (soon-to-be unsupportive) school environment, the good ole golden arches glow from their computer screens?

The McD's PR machine is a slippery, shiny, well oiled robot hiding behind campaigns such as houses for children with cancer and now 'educating' our children; who can possibly argue against such campaigns? Sick children and education; the McD's PR department are probably on permanent holidays! If anyone publicly criticises them they simply let Joe Public rush to the fore to defend their honour; they no longer need a PR response mechanism. It's brilliant PR, maybe that's what Julia is commending them for?

Make no mistake they aren't funding millions of dollars worth (a bargain for the McD's marketing department) of on line McMaths out of the kindness of their hearts or because they give a rats arse about community, they are very well aware of the kind of vast decision making power children wield upon their parents, and are pursuing the cradle to grave marketing approach ruthlessly. McDonalds in schools will herald the dawning of a new age of corporate marketing directly at our children.
The government has a moral obligation to act as guardians of the integrity of the education system by forbidding this kind of insidious, odious kind of direct marketing; and if the Government isn't prepared to do the right thing then the community needs to stand up and see the golden arches well and truly out of the classroom for good.
Posted by mimisurf, Saturday, 21 March 2009 7:55:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Simple answer, GET INVOLVED!
Join your school council,(I always did) agitate and educate, get it rejected in YOUR school. If enough parents do this, it will fail, end of problem. I was on three school councils at one stage, and we successfully opposed the introduction of junk food into school canteens, against Gov pressure, in all three. It can be done.
"All that is needed for evil to prevail is that good men do nothing", or whatever that quote is.
Posted by Maximillion, Sunday, 22 March 2009 4:34:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Maximillian,

Why should we have to get on school boards and the like to fight this sort of ridiculous intrusion into our education system? There are so many instances where our governments, elected by the people, but acting in the interests of their corporate masters, do the wrong thing or ignore the will of the people.

I am an activist myself (on many environmental issues) and it is soul destroying forever being pitted against a powerful and entrenched system that is determined to progress only vested interests at the expense of the community or future communities. You may be able to influence the direction one or two schools take on the issue while you are around and involved but McDonalds, with the governments blessing, will relentlessly plug away until its objectives are met.

Why oh why do we keep voting for governments who consistently place the interests of corporates ahead of the people?
Posted by kulu, Sunday, 22 March 2009 8:00:39 PM
We get the government we deserve, it's an old maxim, but true enough.
I know full-well how soul-destroying it can be at times, been there, done that, and survived to fight another day, what choice do we have after all?
I say to you what I always said to my kids, Life isn't Fair, don't waste time or energy on that, just decide what YOU want out of it, figure out HOW to get it, and just get on with it, to the best of your abilities.
I made an effort because it mattered to ME, it affected MY kids. It was that simple. I have made other efforts in other areas, because they matter to ME. Forget altruism, I'm being entirely selfish, my kids have to live on this planet, so if I can help protect or fix it, I will.
Personal responsibility is really all we have in the long-run, it covers every aspect of our short existence. It is what is sorely lacking in our whole society now, to our wholesale detriment, and, believing this, I take mine seriously, and I hope I have passed that attitude on to my kids, it seems to be working so far. A life spent raising three kids alone sure made for a lot of careful thinking about such things, the little blighters only get one shot at learning to be a decent human, and YOU'RE IT!
Posted by Maximillion, Monday, 23 March 2009 12:13:38 AM
mimisurf

'What hope do we, as parents, have of educating our children in good foods/bad foods when, once they enter the (soon-to-be unsupportive) school environment, the good ole golden arches glow from their computer screens?'

Heaps of hope actually. Love your kids, smack them when they are naughty and only take them to fast food occasionally. Learn to say to them that simple word no. It really it quite simple. There are much more important issues in life be being stressed about a company supplying money for education.
Posted by runner, Monday, 23 March 2009 10:22:19 AM
I think you should be more amused by the mcdonalds adds , using skinny people to promote their goods.
Posted by slug, Monday, 23 March 2009 2:37:54 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy