The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > 'Free to air' target audience.

'Free to air' target audience.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
I used to house share with a woman of Torres Straight and Islander descent. Her nieces and nephews used to come over when their parents were up to something and she'd baby sit. Beautiful kids. Occasionally we'd chuck on a DVD or the tele and it wasn't till then that I noticed the lack of programming aimed directly at them and those of the Indigenous population.

I'm a Caucasian Kiwi and there's a HUGE difference in the air time the Maori get as opposed to what happens here. The Maori language sits side by side with English with official documents, on air info, and various other public signs etc. The Maori culture is generally celebrated with examples like the Haka and nation anthem and obviously other examples that aren't international, but national.

I get the many and varied types of Indigenous language; that's not my point.

Anyone tell me why Australian TV is aimed DIRECTLY at Caucasians on the whole?. The style, the actors, presenters, humour, drama, news, sport etc is generally Caucasian influenced, or flavoured.

Why?.

...and yes, I know about 'Living Black'.
Posted by StG, Friday, 20 March 2009 1:38:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I noticed that too StG, even official buildins have the Maori name first followed by the English. Maori is even taught in schools.

The lack of consideration towards Indigenous Australians is most poignant in the choosing of 26 January as Australia Day which is hardly inclusive in representing British occupation.

The answer may lie in the fact that Maoris make up a larger percentage of the populaton so the culture is more prominent than that of Indigenous Australians. New Zealand is smaller geographically which means the population is more concentrated. I rarely see an Indigenous person where I live and yet in New Zealand, Maori people are much more visible.
Posted by pelican, Friday, 20 March 2009 5:49:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Pelican :-)
Hi StG,
There are other programs "message stick" fillers on aboriginal mythology etc and some cooree music show. Then there are a number of black issues on ABC Fora has had quite a few.

There are black radio stations and a TV channel in the NT and WA. Apparently it’s beamed into a number of communities.
The problem to me is that there are so many different 'nations' in the aboriginal community as a whole.

I'm not that well versed on modern Maori tribalism as opposed to Cooree nations with separate languages, myths, customs etc.

I suspect that Pelican is probably right. Given that they constitute a small% of Aust the argument would then be t here are other communities with simular numbers with approximately the same coverage.

In reality there are innumerable differences between the two groups and their circumstance that make comparisons dubious. One can with some accuracy suggest that the Maori is not really an indigenous race in the same way as the Cooree or Melanesians are. They’re more latter day settlers. But I guess that’s a different topic and off topic…sorry.
Posted by examinator, Friday, 20 March 2009 6:49:48 PM
I'm really not wanting to debate NZ. I was just highlighting the difference in what happens mainstream between here and there.

Yep, there's a spattering of shows on ABC, SBS, and some local stations, but mainstream (which the vast majority watch if they have a choice) - 7, 9, 10 - has next to zero content for everyone other than the Caucasian Australian.

Why?.

The shows don't need to aimed directly at Indigenous Aussies, or Islander Aussies, or Greek, Lebanese, Chinese, European, Asian etc, maybe of they had a showing of content, topics, hosts, stars, reporters, and some relevant content. When's the last time you saw an Indigenous Aussie running a lead role on Home and Away, or read the channel nine news, or host a morning show, or have a drama that relates directly to anyone other than Caucasian Australians?.

Just seems odd to me that you can't put a kid down in front of a tele and give them someone to relate culturally too.
Posted by StG, Friday, 20 March 2009 10:54:05 PM
StG
As pelican said the commercial media is only interested in mass markets. Otherwise they would run more high-class programs.
The indigenous needs are a niche market hence they outside of SBS and ABC it's there isn't enough of them to justify us (sale of ad space) to bother.
The side trip to differences with Maori is both the % of the population and a common language. Which isn’t the case with Australia's indigenous people. That's all
Peraps I should have said that but i guess I do wander at times on subjects I find interesting.

:-) say hi to the children for me.
Posted by examinator, Saturday, 21 March 2009 6:04:44 PM
who does free to air target?
the sports coverage is woefull (anybody watched the aussies playing test cricket in south africa?)the commentators at best moronic at worst they are Phil Gould.
The news is 15 second sound bites with no investigations no follow ups, Paris Hilton is more news worthy that child abuse outrages.
The movies are b grade 10 year old flops. and dont get me started on reality Tv.
So is free to air targeted for idiots? or is it targeted to make us buy pay tv?
Posted by steve b, Saturday, 21 March 2009 6:36:49 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy