The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The Queensland State Election - A race to the bottom

The Queensland State Election - A race to the bottom

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
If it was not for the pathetic TV advertising and those poor (mostly elderly) people who sit on footpaths on deck chairs next to cheesy pictures of their local candidate - you would not know an election was on.

Clearly, this election has been a battle between 'nobodies'.

Nobody # 1 is a Labor Minister who inherited the top job from someone who thought it would be "cute" to have a female Premier. It didn't work and I’m not being sexist. You’ve either “got it” or you haven’t and sadly it’s never been there at all.

Nobody # 2 is a 40 year old urban hill billy who appears to believe that Queensland is badly run goat farm - and only he knows how to fix it. ("don’t you worry about that" - "good gracious me!")

My prediction on the spread of the 89 seats is -

Labor - 44 seats

LNP - 42 seats

Greens - 2 seats

Independent - 1 seat

Only in Queensland
Posted by Rainier, Friday, 20 March 2009 9:27:41 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Like all elections this one is a bit like Christmas in middle class Australia.

You usually get a TURKEY!

I think Labor will win... Not that they should, they are incompetent.

In an election where you have the choice of Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum it will be Dum Dee Dee Dum - very close.

What can you say when you have "there isn't a credit crisis" Springborg vs "let them drink pee" Bligh

I may do a donkey vote - Aren't we already guaranteed of getting a donkey?...lol
Posted by Opinionated2, Friday, 20 March 2009 12:57:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This will not be an election where there is a winner. It will simply be a matter of whether labor loose enough to be voted out.

All I can say is that if anyone is considering a 'donkey vote' then remember that will only strengthen labor's chances.

But don't worry, labor is going to keep us 'strong', I'm just wondering what thier definition of strong is. Can anyone put some light on this?

After all, they have only been at the helm for 18 of the past 20 years!
Posted by rehctub, Friday, 20 March 2009 6:59:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ah rechtub we meet again.
I have a question, granted QLD may have had little choice.
But is the fact they put their trust in other than your mob proof not every one thinks like you?
Please no plaintive calls about voter blindness, the idea that if they did not think as I do they did not think at all.
Great win lady, thanks, and just what must conservatives do?
Well return to the party's once proud roots is a start.
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 22 March 2009 6:08:39 PM
That was very bold of you Rainier, first getting an opening post approved here, and then, with the removal of but two hash characters, posting the identical comment to GrahamY's own article, 'Labor isn't selling this time', but 14 minutes later! See: http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?article=8684#137419

It seems both your prediction as to the outcome of the Queensland State elections, and that of Graham Young, were both wide of the mark. To be fair, GrahamY has questioned the usefulness of opinion polling as a means to predicting the outcome of electoral events in his topic 'Are public opinion polls accurate anymore?' started on Tuesday, 1 July 2008 at 5:01:26 PM, to which I have commented here: http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?discussion=1945#40939

Not that I am complaining about double-posting in this case, mind you: not only are people seemingly asleep at the wheel on OLO, they seem to be asleep at the wheel with respect to expecting and demanding a proper public accounting for electoral results, so a bit of repetition is perhaps called for.

You will note if you read the post given in the second link, that I raise the issue of voter turn-out in the Gippsland by-election of 28 June 2008. You will also note that I have commented here: http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?article=8709#137562 about the mis-statement by the ECQ as to the percentage of the vote cast counted on its State election results summary. The meaningless figure given makes it impossible to determine overall voter turn-out.

I have also commented here: http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?discussion=2166#58962 in relation to the results in the Mt Coot-Tha District, in which election James Sinnamon (OLO userID daggett) stood as a candidate, as to the potential significance of the withholding from timely public view of key electoral accountancy information.

Perhaps opinion polls are accurate, but expression of genuine voter opinion is no longer the only factor influencing election results.
Posted by Forrest Gumpp, Monday, 23 March 2009 7:35:21 AM
Forrest,
Fair point over all.
But if you read my posts I was specifically talking about the bayside
Both Cleveland and Redlands are still in the ballance.

Cleveland: the labor member had bugger all margin to play with is fighting to the end.

Redlands: On nearly 7% margin Well as I said the candidate dropped the ball against a highly developer funded candidate. It also shows what money can do. I stand by my original comments. He has polarized the electorate. I fear for those who need a local poli to represent them on issues. His record is blatantly Pro developers and overly ambitious.
Posted by examinator, Monday, 23 March 2009 8:26:03 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy