The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Over servicing cover up or patient privacy?

Over servicing cover up or patient privacy?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
AMA Drs threaten not to comply
The Federal Government wants to increase the number of audits it conducts on doctors and health professionals to ensure clinicians are not over-servicing or charging for things they have not done.

Medicare pays out about $13 billion every year and the Government, which wants access to records, says it is prepared to sit down with the AMA to discuss its concerns.(ABC news).
Given it's public money and government are required to show due dilligance do you agree ? is there a better way and what restriction would you place on patient records?
Posted by examinator, Thursday, 12 March 2009 9:15:09 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I went to the Drs the other day with my Wife and Child. My Child had a sore throat and wasn't sleeping, and my Wife had a slightly sore throat, and me, well, nothing wrong with me really. The doctor asked about my wife and she said yes her throat was a bit sore, and before we knew it we had signed 3 medicare slips and had 3 scripts for antibiotics and were out the door. I felt like I'd made a purchase when I wasn't even looking to buy, and was starting to convince myself that my throat was sore, even though all he did was flash a light down my mouth for 1 second.

Pretty good work if you can get 3 patients for the price of 1.

Another doctor split my childs vacinations over 2 weeks 'As it's best not to overload the childs immune system', and I've had another doctor, and a vacination worker at a vacination centre tell me since it's a scam to get 2 visits where normally you would only get one.

Not sure these instances would be picked up in records.

I think there's no need to look at records, just make EVERYONE pay SOMETHING to go to the doctors, and have a phone line where you can make complaints/enquiries.
Posted by Houellebecq, Thursday, 12 March 2009 1:13:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
From the moment we give taxpayers money we must know to hom and why we give these money.
Privacy is for every one else exept from the MEDICARE.
How they can know if the doctors do not charge for zero services or they do not overcharge?
The Federal Government is absolutly right, in realy it had to happen from the first time it was used taxpayers money.
The government of cause can not publish patient records!
Antonios Symeonakis
Adelaide
Posted by ASymeonakis, Saturday, 14 March 2009 6:06:42 PM
AS
Yes from one perspective you're right. But what the government want to do is look at some clients who have a high usage of Drs to see if this is medically justified.
example; I went to the Dr for a swollen toe he sent me to the inhouse Xray both he and the xray billed medicare but I had to go upstairs to get the results...a new billing...Hmmm
Dr. say that they are protecting our privacy and will go to jail rather than disclose the records.
But If I want the records the Drs. claim that they are theirs therefore I can't have them again hmmm.

I think many doctors do over service like I said before.
I accept that Medicare is entitled to validate the fees being charged
But they mustn't publish them....as you say.
Posted by examinator, Saturday, 14 March 2009 6:50:47 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy