The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > employment and big business

employment and big business

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
There is a saying that runs something like this: "Owe the bank a million dollars and the bank owns you; owe the bank a trillion dollars and you own the bank." We are currently being reminded of this with the announcement that various companies are preparing to shed staff. In this context it could read "Employ a 1000 people and the country owns you, Employ 200,000 people and you own the country" For the past decade or so we have seen how large manufacturers and retailers have been able to hold the country to ransom - governments have been and are terrified to enact legislation that may be in the national interest if the national interest does not co-incide with the interests of these large employers. It is not merely that these large employers employ lots of people - if they close a host of small to medium enterprises that depend on them like wise will, at worst be forced to close, at best signficantly reduce their staffing levels.
The big failure of both sides of politics is that there is no willingness to address this issue. If we were to make the transition to an economy that is not dependent on large employers we would be able to protect our long term interests much better. It is not as if is not feasable; we have the technology to implement a small is beautiful philosophy. Many of the cost savings of big business can be achieved by very small businesses if they apply the technology that is currently available. What is needed are politicians who are not locked in the past but are aware of what lies at the cutting edge of business philosophy.
Posted by BAYGON, Sunday, 1 March 2009 5:34:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Break them up!
Too big to fail too big to exist.
oh and tax the crap out of the greedy bastards as well.
Posted by mikk, Sunday, 1 March 2009 10:52:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think what the problem is that the concern should be what is good
for the country.
In that concern if everything was taken into account then the concern
would include the big companies and the government would not have the
companies saying "What about us ?"

If the government does not take the large companies into the calculation
then whatever the problem is, it will get worse.

The companies are part of the system, not a separate organism.
Ask their employees if it is so.
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 2 March 2009 2:26:57 PM
employment and big business
very big to respect Unions
and workers rights.
Very dificult to press them for essencial rights.
To much power on Political parties, of cause the money they give to political parties.
To much power on mass media, mainly of cause their advertising and very easy for them to win the public opinion.
Very easy for them to move from state to state from country to country, creating political and social problems.
to much power to care for environmental protection and basic social rules.
no way for any reaction if they want to crunch you.
bend your knee and obey.
You are nothing, god bless them!
Antonios Symeonakis
Adelaide
Posted by ASymeonakis, Tuesday, 3 March 2009 10:41:18 AM
I tend to agree with BAYGON. Fot too long various governments have pandered to the very large organisations. The small business owner has been taxed and regulated to the point that running a small business is now almost unviable. I recently shut mine down. I now only have me to worry about- what a breeze! If the government were really serious about kick starting the economy they should be looking to help small business.
Posted by Sparkyq, Tuesday, 3 March 2009 12:06:53 PM
Sparkyq, You are quite correct. Ease the burdon on small business and make it more attractive to employ people rather than buy machines.

Most small businesses are run by persons who reside within the community. When they do well, so to does the community.

Small business owners are faimily people, not CEO's answerable to a board of directors and share holders.

I have two butchers shops and I can tell you I make less today than I made 10 years ago, and that's a fact!
Posted by rehctub, Tuesday, 3 March 2009 8:56:37 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy