The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > A pragmatic approach to bush fires

A pragmatic approach to bush fires

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
An article in today's SMH bothers me.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/think-before-you-hunker-in-a-bunker-say-experts-20090215-887r.html?page=-1

The general tenor seems to be against the idea of building fire-proof bunkers for use during bush fires, in favour of increased hardening of houses.

The lesson that does not seem to have been learned by these so called experts is that some fires are so severe that there's no way that a house can be defended. Choosing hardening over bunkers is actually choosing property over lives.

A house is an asset. It costs money, and it can be replaced. To a point, it makes sense to spend money on protecting it against damage. But only to a point. Yet there seems to be a wide reluctance to accept the idea that in a severe fire, one should simply let the house burn, and spend any extra money on making sure that the occupants survive.

The article talks about smoke getting into bunkers. Well it may do. But a supply of compressed air and masks with which to use it would deal with that.

If I were intending to live in an area where I could be trapped by a bush fire, I'd build myself a bunker, and equip it properly. The house would have basic protection against things like ember attack, and it would be insured. If it burns, then it burns.

Sylvia.
Posted by Sylvia Else, Monday, 16 February 2009 5:15:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sylvia
I am bothered that no one has yet spotted the coming gotcha.
I have noticed that insurance companies are slowly eliminating their (exposure) to flood. Some areas even central city areas can’t get flood insurance and if they can it is at a huge premium. That’s business. I’ve go it but I live 200 ft above sea level and 150 feet above the nearest water course
Well, how long you feel it will take these insurance companies to the same with Bush fire cover? Especially with the Global warming on the horizon.

I’m prepared to give odds that recommendations of the commission will be on the next policy renewal with an increase especially for those in ‘fire prone areas’.

The other gotcha that unless mandated will be those who can’t afford or choose other priorities over insurance will be more motivated to defend (and probably die for) the home.

Therefore, I see some value for a bunker with a near air tight inward opening door and perhaps an air lock. To minimize smoke, O2 depletion due to the effects of a fire storm for the nasty surprises. But I still maintain leaving earlier as a better idea.

Better again would be a cultural change in the style of house we build. Currently if you have a view then you build to incorporate ease of viewing it Big picture windows raised wooden deck verandas etc (all of which makes the house more vulnerable to bush fires). Technologies/ techniques exist now to virtually fire proof a well maintained home.
But we insist on building flamboyant and un-defendable homes for vanity sake.
We have a culture of more and scream and sacrifice non vanity items like insurance/survival items in favour of luxuries.
Many want a lifestyle but want someone else to pay for the infrastructure including their safety as a right.
In truth there are many people who just can’t “afford” ($ and risk) to live in or near the bush.
Freedom of choice is one thing but when it endangers others?
Laws are comming. Commen
Posted by examinator, Tuesday, 17 February 2009 1:21:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My sister and brother in law owned a house in the Blue Mountains right in the bush at Yellow Rock. From the upper deck you could reach the limbs of trees that hung over it. They had a 25,000 gallon tank installed with pomp to spray over the roof and walls to reduce threat of becoming flamable.
Posted by Philo, Tuesday, 17 February 2009 1:38:03 PM
It seems odd that insurers are refusing to insure against flood. After all, insuring against risk is what insurers do.

That said, the essence of insurance is sharing the risk of some adverse event with other people who face a similar level of risk. This works provided one doesn't expect pretty much all of those people to experience a realisation of the risk in a relatively short time - say a decade or two. In some areas, insurers may have concluded that the risk is higher than they previously thought, or has become higher, and that it's no longer possible to share the risk, because there's no one to share it with.

I suppose the same view might come to be taken of bush-fire prone areas, though the reality is that around a 1000 homes have been destroyed, which is only a small proportion of the total at risk, over a long period. Refusing to insure against bush-fires in those areas would make commercial sense only if it's perceived that bush-fires have recently become so much more likely that a significant proportion of the at risk houses will be burnt down over the next decade or so.

On the subject of getting out in the face of a bush-fire, rather than staying, I would generally agree. Some might like to stay and defend, but if they're going to do that they need a fall-back option.

But I noted that some of the people who survived, but nearly died, (and therefore probably also some who died) in the recent event, were caught up in the bush fire so quickly that leaving was never an option, unless they'd simply vacated at the beginning of the bush fire season.

So even with a bail-out and let it burn philosophy, I'd still want a bunker in such areas.

On the subject of changing the way houses are built. I suppose it would be possible to build houses that can withstand a fire storm. But at what cost? Beyond a certain point it's cheaper to let houses burn down and build them again when necessary.
Posted by Sylvia Else, Tuesday, 17 February 2009 1:57:34 PM
Where do you get your FACTS examinator?

Suncorp are advertising right now, that they are now including flood cover automatically, in all their policies.

It is a sore point with me, as they are using this flood cover to justify a 26% increase in the cost of my policy.

As my place is flood proof, & I have not made a claim in the 17 years I've had it, I am more than a little annoyed at this.

Fortunately, I also made my place as fire proof as reasonably possible, before the cuttent fashion of public servants granting them selves the right to tell us what we may do with our properties.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 17 February 2009 2:12:12 PM
Hasbeen,
If you live in the flood plane of Brisbane check your contents policy.
My aunt and mum just renewed both their insurance covers and have had terminology change. Storm water (as in drain etc) yes, but it was cover forn excluding floods (rivers,dam overflows etc). I checked on their behalfand it was confirmed.
Flood cover is offered by some companies as ‘an included’ selectively to those areas that are unlikely to ever need it. It’s all marketing selling the sizzle not the steak.

Sylvia,
Insurance companies are businesses each item would be like a mini cost centre if it cost more than it gains, they either up the price if it’s strategic or dump it. Spreading the load is how THEY pay for their losses (payouts). The rest is marketing spin.
Add the floods in Nth Queensland etc (barely touched on OLO) will also cost insurance companies a bomb. The media hasn’t focused on that simply because fire is more spectacular and the flooding has been a reality for weeks if not months

More importantly these will spook the re-insurers (spreading the risk) and those who invest in insurance companies. This will lead to the insurance companies having to pay more hence fees go up. Then they always recoup. Watch the fees it will be depressing reading.

Sooner or later if your bush home doesn’t have……you won’t get insurance period.

On available technology etc you proved my point people want a life style benefits but not the responsibility.
See my posts on related topics for a small list of examples of the curmudgeonary attitudes of most people when it comes to things like community safety and fire dangers.

When the SA govt brought in the fire safety building requirement you should have seen the nature of the complaints! Talk about recalcitrant! Most bordered on the wilfully inane and negligent.
Like I said we need a culture change
Posted by examinator, Tuesday, 17 February 2009 5:10:02 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy